converting flat files to oracle tables or unix

converting flat files to oracle tables or unix

Post by KELVI » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

hi!
   I wonder if there is any way to convert a flat file into a oracle table
without the need to create the table first. i meant an automathical way of
calling a text file(flat file) and create a table with it .
   Can i do this with unix also"? how?
           thank you, kevin

converting flat files to oracle tables or unix

Post by Randy DeWoolfso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

no.

> hi!
>    I wonder if there is any way to convert a flat file into a oracle table
> without the need to create the table first. i meant an automathical way of
> calling a text file(flat file) and create a table with it .
>    Can i do this with unix also"? how?
>            thank you, kevin

> --

converting flat files to oracle tables or unix

Post by STiger200 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

With a little shell code, maybe some perl, and then calling sqlplus ...
sort of ...
the tool of choice for this type of operation would be SQL Loader.  It
is specifically desgined to take flat files and use them to populate a
table in an Oracle database.  We have done this to capture system stats
and build a database repository for analysis.  Works great, the code
was a 'work for hire' project, so we can't share it here ... but the
concept is pretty straight forward.
jc
http://www.networkessentials.com/certified/ocp

Quote:> hi!
>    I wonder if there is any way to convert a flat file into a oracle
table
> without the need to create the table first. i meant an automathical
way of
> calling a text file(flat file) and create a table with it .
>    Can i do this with unix also"? how?
>            thank you, kevin

> --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. convert fixed width Flat file to db2 tables using SQL DTS 2000

hi,
i am trying to migrate data from fixed width flat file
dumped from the cobol prg into Db2 UDB tables with some
transformations. i plan to use DTS for the same. The
problem is the enormous volume of data in the order of
16GB. My question is can DTS handle this bulk data
quantity and the transformations, are there any different
approaches to this problem. Any suggestions or help would
be highly appreciated

Cheers
Siddharth

2. document upload

3. Accessing Flat files through DTS Flat File OLE DB Provider

4. Bug when close connection with server.

5. How does one export an Oracle table to a Comma Delimited Flat File

6. Oracle 8i on NT4.0 and internal PW

7. how to dump data from oracle table to a flat file

8. SQL Server FullText will not come up on one node but not the other

9. Creating Flat Files from Oracle Tables

10. convert flat-file data to relational

11. Converting full database back-ups to Flat Files

12. How to convert flat file data into SQLSERVER 6.5