Oracle 7.1 Database Connectivity

Post by William Limratan » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

    Does anyone know if it's possible to connect to an Oracle 7.1
Database (running on HP-Unix) through JDBC?  The drivers provided by
Oracle only cover 7.2 and up, does anyone else make JBDC drivers for
7.1?

    Thanks,
        William Limratana

Post by Allan Goul » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>     Does anyone know if it's possible to connect to an Oracle 7.1
> Database (running on HP-Unix) through JDBC?  The drivers provided by
> Oracle only cover 7.2 and up, does anyone else make JBDC drivers for
> 7.1?

You could try our JDBC driver: SCO SQL-Retriever which will cover Oracle
7.1 on HPUX.  Take a look at
http://www.sco.com/vision/products/sqlretriever/ for more information
and a downloadable eval.

Allan Gould
(allang at sco dot com)
(Please remove anti-spam measures if replying)

1. Please help: Oracle 7.1 JDBC connections : portmaper error/general connectivity errors

Hi, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have been trying to make a simple java applet connect to an Oracle 7.1
database running on HP/UX.  I tried first using Oracle's thin drivers.
Their documentation said it only worked with 7.2 and up, but I wanted to
try anyway.  It didn't work.  Also, I am running/writing this java
applet from a Windows95 desktop on the same Lan as the Oracle HP/UX
server.

Someone from this newsgroup was nice enough to give me the link to SCO's
JDBC drivers for Oracle (as well as other databases).  I got everything
set up, but could not connect.  I modified the code to explicitly
connect to the database I wanted it to (so it wouldn't use the user
interface to get connection options).  I also address Universal Connect
code for Netscape security overrides because I need this to work with
Netscape.

This is the message I get:

** SQLException caught ***

SQLState: 08001
Message: Unable to connect to data source: Cannot get port number from
portmapper: server may not be running
Vendor: 0

I got this same message weather I used the applet or application version
of the example connectivity program that was included.

I used:

 String url   =
"jdbc:sqlr:172.0.0.1:Oracle;DBname=production;DBuser=dbo;DBauth=dbo;
Application=example;DebugPCFile=vwodbc.txt;DebugPCAppend=0;DebugOptions=895"

for the connection string.  (172.0.0.1 is not the real address I used,
it was another machine, not the one I was running this java
application/applet from.)

I tried using 172.0.0.1:1521 to explicitly designate the port, and I
also used Port=1521, as an option to see if that might be the problem.

If anyone has any ideas what I might be doing wrong, please let me
know.  I would like to get database connectivity with only jdbc so I
don't have to worry about users having ODBC or running another server
for some middleware program.

  Thanks very much,

    William Limratana

2. VOICE -> SQL CE. IS IT POSSIBLE ?

3. SQL missing from Performance Monitor

4. Move Oracle 7.1 on OpenVMS 6.1 to 7.1 VAX

5. File Viewer > 80 Columns

6. Recovering from Oracle 7.1(SCO Unix) database crash

7. Error adding to dao

8. How to backup oracle 9i database on Redhat Linux 7.1

9. Cannot create database (Oracle 8.1.7 on Redhat 7.1)

10. How to trace transcation on Oracle 7.1 database?

11. Oracle to DB2 connectivity or DB2 to Oracle Connectivity