Multi-Protocol Set Ups

Post by Louise Weile » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Greetings!

Our system administrator came to us today...we currently have a dozen or so
Oracle applications running on servers, connecting to Oracle 7.x databases
using SQL*Net V2 and TCP/IP.  A group at the site has purchased a third
party package that requires the use of SPX/IPX instead.  Reading the
SQL*Net Administrator's guide, I see that this is possible, but it refers
me to another manual (the multi-protocol administration guide) which I
cannot seem to find.  (BIG surprise)  Can anyone give me a synopsis of what
has to be done to set this up?  From the diagram, it looks like we need two
additional machines --- one to act as a "translator" (so that only one
protocol is heading toward the database server) and one for the additional
protocol.  Is this true?

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks...

--
-- Louise

Louise J Weiler
Ballston Lake, NY

Multi-Protocol Set Ups

Post by Jim Smit » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Greetings!

> Our system administrator came to us today...we currently have a dozen or so
> Oracle applications running on servers, connecting to Oracle 7.x databases
> using SQL*Net V2 and TCP/IP.  A group at the site has purchased a third
> party package that requires the use of SPX/IPX instead.  Reading the
> SQL*Net Administrator's guide, I see that this is possible, but it refers
> me to another manual (the multi-protocol administration guide) which I
> cannot seem to find.  (BIG surprise)

You need the multi-protocol adapter to translate one network protocol to
another and that involves a bridge machine running both protocols AND the
multi-protocol adapter.. This would allows a client on an SPX/IPX network to
talk to a server running SQL*NET TCP/IP. A simpler solution might be to get the
IPX protocol and run that on the server, but I don't know if it is available
for Unix (Check your installation CD). This just involves setting up a listener
as for TCP (but different). In theory the same listener could handle both
protocols.

Needless to say both the SPX/IPX protocol adapter and the multiprotocol adapter
are additional, chargeable products.

1. OS error 1899 when setting multi-protocol connection

Hi,

I'm trying to set up SQL Server on a remote site in a different NT
domain to use the multi-protocol NET-Library.  I keep getting the
following error:

ods Unable to set up ListenOn connection ''.
ods OS Error : 1899, The endpoint mapper database could not be
created.

Does anybody know how to fix this?  My knowledge of Windows NT is less
than rudimentary :-(

Thanks in advance

Isaac

----
to e-mail remove NOT4SPAMMERS from my address

2. Use RS to batch transfer between providers?

3. Require Protocol for Name-Piped or Multi-Protocol

4. Active X control to sent e mail from your access application.

5. Paradox 4.5 Dos - Multi User Lock ups

6. VB and Access

7. Hang ups in multi form applications

8. Any experiance with Direct Access from Opus?

9. Multi record sets and multi databases

10. Need referrals for Business Set Ups

11. Multi-protocol encryption fails

12. User Priveleges for Multi-Protocol NetLib

13. multi-protocol without domain