EXPORT File Format / Export API

EXPORT File Format / Export API

Post by Tim Smit » Thu, 30 May 2002 07:37:39



Is the Export File format in the public domain?  If not, is there an export
api?  I am interested in creating custom export dump files, from non-Oracle
data sources.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

TS

 
 
 

EXPORT File Format / Export API

Post by Thomas Gaine » Thu, 30 May 2002 08:25:30


The Oracle exp program produces a file in a proprietary
format, and there isn't a public API that one can use
to either create an export file or read one.  You're
on your own.

Perhaps you can take advantage of Oracle's heterogeneous
services to create a connection to a non-Oracle data
source and then have Oracle create an export file from
that source.  I haven't tried that yet myself, so don't
take my word for it that it will work.

If that approach is unsuccessful, then perhaps you can build
an input file to be read by SQL*Loader or maybe even build your
own "insert xxxxx" statements over on the other machine.

Bye,
TG


> Is the Export File format in the public domain?  If not, is there an export
> api?  I am interested in creating custom export dump files, from non-Oracle
> data sources.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

> TS


 
 
 

EXPORT File Format / Export API

Post by Stev » Thu, 30 May 2002 14:28:53



> Is the Export File format in the public domain?  If not, is there an export
> api?  I am interested in creating custom export dump files, from non-Oracle
> data sources.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

> TS

Oracle Export Format has never been documented and there is no api.

Regards
Stefan

 
 
 

EXPORT File Format / Export API

Post by Tim Smit » Thu, 30 May 2002 23:34:00


Sucks.



Quote:> > Is the Export File format in the public domain?  If not, is there an
export
> > api?  I am interested in creating custom export dump files, from
non-Oracle
> > data sources.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

> > TS

> Oracle Export Format has never been documented and there is no api.

> Regards
> Stefan

 
 
 

EXPORT File Format / Export API

Post by Dale Edg » Fri, 31 May 2002 00:33:17




>> Is the Export File format in the public domain?  If not, is there an export
>> api?  I am interested in creating custom export dump files, from non-Oracle
>> data sources.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

>> TS

>Oracle Export Format has never been documented and there is no api.

True - but the format isn't all that cryptic. A bit of work with a
binary editor will enable you to figure out enough to do what you want
to do.

Thats what we did for our DBATool freeware - and the approach was
quite successful.

Regards
Dale
---------------------------
DBATool new feature:  Generate instant schema documentation with the
DDL to HTML converter.  http://www.DataBee.com

 
 
 

EXPORT File Format / Export API

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Thu, 30 May 2002 08:21:47



Quote:> Is the Export File format in the public domain?  If not, is there an
export
> api?  I am interested in creating custom export dump files, from
non-Oracle
> data sources.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

> TS

1 No, it is proprietary
2 There is no API

Good Luck

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

 
 
 

EXPORT File Format / Export API

Post by Ligg » Fri, 31 May 2002 03:46:13


You could try looking at sqlldr (SQL Loader) which is geared towards DATA
importing, not creating tables etc.




> > Is the Export File format in the public domain?  If not, is there an
> export
> > api?  I am interested in creating custom export dump files, from
> non-Oracle
> > data sources.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

> > TS

> 1 No, it is proprietary
> 2 There is no API

> Good Luck

> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

> to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

 
 
 

EXPORT File Format / Export API

Post by Tim Smit » Fri, 31 May 2002 04:33:39


Tool wouldnt include source?






Quote:> >> Is the Export File format in the public domain?  If not, is there an
export
> >> api?  I am interested in creating custom export dump files, from
non-Oracle
> >> data sources.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

> >> TS

> >Oracle Export Format has never been documented and there is no api.

> True - but the format isn't all that cryptic. A bit of work with a
> binary editor will enable you to figure out enough to do what you want
> to do.

> Thats what we did for our DBATool freeware - and the approach was
> quite successful.

> Regards
> Dale
> ---------------------------
> DBATool new feature:  Generate instant schema documentation with the
> DDL to HTML converter.  http://www.DataBee.com

 
 
 

EXPORT File Format / Export API

Post by Dale Edg » Fri, 31 May 2002 16:20:33



>Tool wouldnt include source?

>> True - but the format isn't all that cryptic. A bit of work with a
>> binary editor will enable you to figure out enough to do what you want
>> to do.

>> Thats what we did for our DBATool freeware - and the approach was
>> quite successful.

No we haven't released the source for it. However, the source wouldn't
be much use to you as it is designed to read an export file created
with the rows=N option and you (presumably) want to write exp files
with data in them. Our code spends a lot of time moving back and forth
picking DDL out of the export file and interpreting it whereas you
would only need to emit information in sequence. The problems are
quite different and the code would not be transferrable.

Basically tables are pretty much written in the export file in obvious
clear ASCIIZ - with a statement or two before them to indicate the
schema the table is to be created in. Data immediately follows the
table. We have not developed any code which interprets the data since
it was not relevant. We also never needed to interpret much of the
leading header of the export file - you will probably have to figure
that out.

Regards
Dale
-----------------------
DataBee: Small referentially correct subsets of large databases for
development, testing and training.  http://www.DataBee.com

 
 
 

EXPORT File Format / Export API

Post by Tim Smit » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 00:59:28


Thank you for the help.  I will check out your tools too!  Thanks again.



> >Tool wouldnt include source?

> >> True - but the format isn't all that cryptic. A bit of work with a
> >> binary editor will enable you to figure out enough to do what you want
> >> to do.

> >> Thats what we did for our DBATool freeware - and the approach was
> >> quite successful.

> No we haven't released the source for it. However, the source wouldn't
> be much use to you as it is designed to read an export file created
> with the rows=N option and you (presumably) want to write exp files
> with data in them. Our code spends a lot of time moving back and forth
> picking DDL out of the export file and interpreting it whereas you
> would only need to emit information in sequence. The problems are
> quite different and the code would not be transferrable.

> Basically tables are pretty much written in the export file in obvious
> clear ASCIIZ - with a statement or two before them to indicate the
> schema the table is to be created in. Data immediately follows the
> table. We have not developed any code which interprets the data since
> it was not relevant. We also never needed to interpret much of the
> leading header of the export file - you will probably have to figure
> that out.

> Regards
> Dale
> -----------------------
> DataBee: Small referentially correct subsets of large databases for
> development, testing and training.  http://www.DataBee.com

 
 
 

1. export file problem - how to close/unuse the exported file

Gentlemen,
I have a DTS that exports to a DBF file and executes an external process to
Zip up the file. It works up to the point of exporting a the file but fails
on the zipping process... I think because the DBF file is still open and so
the zipping program cannot open the file.

How do I close the exported file from within the DTS, before the external
process task starts. (There's already a precedence set up)

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm very new to SQL2K and DTS.

2. What Should Every VB Developer Know?

3. DTS Export: How to have nulls export as blanks on fixed width export

4. Size of database in Raw Partition

5. export contents into a file w/o using export

6. pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt ruleutils.c

7. DTS Export data to text file in native format

8. Add remote Sybase SQL Server in MS SQL Enterprise Manager

9. Export SQL to text file - number formatting

10. import / export LDIF file format from LDAP?

11. import / export LDIF file format form LDAP?

12. Import/Export XML formatted files

13. Using DTS to export a XML format file.