JDBC 2.0 / JDK 1.2 Drivers for Oracle 8.0x (not Oracle 8i)

JDBC 2.0 / JDK 1.2 Drivers for Oracle 8.0x (not Oracle 8i)

Post by sprad.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Are there any JDK 1.2 / JDBC 2.0 compliant Oracle Thin drivers for
Oracle 8.0x?  I know that there is such a driver for Oracle 8i namely
the Oracle 8.1.6 driver available via the Oracle Technical Network. But
this driver does not work correctly with Oracle 8 when we try to use
the Scrollable Result Sets feature in JDBC 2.0.  The JDBC statement
executes and retrieves the correct number of rows but the underlying
columns contain no data values!  When you do a getObject(i) on the
resultset you get back a Java null!  And believe me, there is data in
the database <g>.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong?  Here is sample
snippet of code I am using:

Statement s = conn.createStatement(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE,
   ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY));
ResultSet rs = s.executeQuery(strQuery);
while (rs.next()) {
   Vector newRow = new Vector(getColumnCount());
   for (int i = 1; i <= getColumnCount(rs); i++) {
      Object ob = rs.getObject(i);
      newRow.addElement(ob);
   }
   this.getRows().addElement(newRow);

Quote:}

If there is no JDBC 2.0 compliant driver currently for Oracle 8.0x, are
there any plans to have such a driver in the near future (1-2 months)?

Better, yet does anyone know if Oracle plans to fix these issues with
the Oracle 8.1.6 driver so that it can work with Oracle 8.0.x?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Jeffery Can » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Are there any JDK 1.2 / JDBC 2.0 compliant Oracle Thin drivers for
> Oracle 8.0x?

Not that I can tell.

Quote:> If there is no JDBC 2.0 compliant driver currently for Oracle 8.0x, are
> there any plans to have such a driver in the near future (1-2 months)?

I doubt it.  Oracle probably would tell you to upgrade to 8.1.5 or 8.1.6.

Quote:> Better, yet does anyone know if Oracle plans to fix these issues with
> the Oracle 8.1.6 driver so that it can work with Oracle 8.0.x?

The 8.1.6 driver does work with 8.0.x.  You just cannot use any of the JDBC
2.0 features.  We use the 8.1.5 JDBC thin drivers against a 7.3.3 database
and they work great using the JDBC 1.0 API.  In fact, they work better and
have fewer bugs than the JDBC 1.0 drivers that came with 7.3.3 or 7.3.4.

BTW - I was at Oracle Open World in November and asked about the scrollable
cursor features in JDBC 2.0.  As the Oracle server does support scrollable
cursors, the thin-driver spoofs it.  This means that all the cursor
scrolling happens not in the database engine, but in your application.
This may not be a problem for your application but it is a noteworthy
design consideration.  Once I learned this fact from an Oracle JDBC
developer, I was not too e*d about the cool features in JDBC 2.0
because most surround the scrollable cursor.

Jeff