Auditing Insert, update and deletes

Post by Sunil Godith » Fri, 20 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
I have a need to audit inserts, updates, and deletes in existing
application.
the application has over 200 Tables ( oracle 7.1.6). We need to know who
changed what column to what value.

I'd like to know if anyone had come across this problem, If so how did
they solve it. I'd hate to create 200 history tables or Write code to
check which column was changed in every trigger separately. (Some of
these tables have a lot of columns.)

One Idea someone suggested was to reverse engineer the database into
Des2K and use the audit option to generate the 200 + tables and database
triggers.
Any others?
Please send the answers to my e-mail address if possible, I'll summarize

Thanks in Advance,
Sunil

Post by David Trah » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I have a need to audit inserts, updates, and deletes in existing
>application.
>the application has over 200 Tables ( oracle 7.1.6). We need to know who
>changed what column to what value.
>I'd like to know if anyone had come across this problem, If so how did
>they solve it. I'd hate to create 200 history tables or Write code to
>check which column was changed in every trigger separately. (Some of
>these tables have a lot of columns.)

SQL<>SECURE Audit Manager from BrainTree Technology does this through
it's user defined auditing function.  See http://www.sqlsecure.com.

Post by Orac » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I have a need to audit inserts, updates, and deletes in existing
> application.
> the application has over 200 Tables ( oracle 7.1.6). We need to know who
> changed what column to what value.

> I'd like to know if anyone had come across this problem, If so how did
> they solve it. I'd hate to create 200 history tables or Write code to
> check which column was changed in every trigger separately. (Some of
> these tables have a lot of columns.)

> One Idea someone suggested was to reverse engineer the database into
> Des2K and use the audit option to generate the 200 + tables and database
> triggers.

  Using triggers are inevitable as it is the way to implement value-based audit options.
Anyway, you can write some scripts to generate the trigger definitions by using
USER_TABLES and other tables without reverse engineering.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

Auditing Insert, update and deletes

Post by JessicaL » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Plan Analyzer for Oracle has a capture facility that will capture all
statements that run through the server.  The capture can be filtered for
only certain users or roles.  You can set the time of day you want to
capture.  You can identify/rank the queries by which are the most
inefficient or resource intensive.

You can order a free trial from Platinum technology.  E-mail Josh Ballard

Jamie Lerner

Auditing Insert, update and deletes

Post by Dan Hoffman » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Perhaps a less intrusive alternative is the SQL*Trax product from BMC
Software, which scans the Oracle redo logs (active and archives) and can
(among other things) report all inserts, updates, and deletes. Note that
"user" information is not logged by Oracle so cannot be retrieved by
SQL*Trax. However,
it reports time, day, transaction id, and SCN and generates UNDO for many
SQL
statements. More information can be found at www.bmc.com.

Dan Hoffmann
BMC Software, Inc.

> Plan Analyzer for Oracle has a capture facility that will capture all
> statements that run through the server.  The capture can be filtered for
> only certain users or roles.  You can set the time of day you want to
> capture.  You can identify/rank the queries by which are the most
> inefficient or resource intensive.

> You can order a free trial from Platinum technology.  E-mail Josh Ballard

CD.

Also check out SQL<>SECURE Audit Manager at www.sqlsecure.com.