Please Help with these ORACLE 7.1 (NT) questions

Please Help with these ORACLE 7.1 (NT) questions

Post by NNOO » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I would extremely appreciate help with the following:

1. How can I get the  DDL for the objects I created in the DB?
I want to save the SQL commands for every change I made to the
DB objects. Can't figure out to get the SQL for those.

2. We are planning a move to the v7.3 and don't know how to move
the database over from 7.1. Any help would be appreciate.

regards,

Post by Steve Phela » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I would extremely appreciate help with the following:

> 1. How can I get the  DDL for the objects I created in the DB?
> I want to save the SQL commands for every change I made to the
> DB objects. Can't figure out to get the SQL for those.

> 2. We are planning a move to the v7.3 and don't know how to move
> the database over from 7.1. Any help would be appreciate.

> regards,

1. Either use SQL (I like the stuff on the RevealNet Oracle support
disks that can do this sort of thing) or use a database design tools
(like Oracle Designer 2000) to reverse engineer the database. In fact,
you should be driving your database design and changes through a design
tool, not the other way round as you are doing at present, IMHO. :-)

2. When you get your Oracle upgrade CD you should also get the Oracle 7
Server Migration manual. It details all the steps you need to perform:
Basically, installing the new binaries in place of your current 7.1
executables and then running scripts on your existing databases to
upgrade the data dictionary information.

Steve Phelan.

Please Help with these ORACLE 7.1 (NT) questions

Post by Rich Berna » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

You may want to run an export on the database, user or table to capture
the DDL.  Also, you may want to turn audit on for lower levels of the
database.  Originally captures changes at the DB level.  Read up on
auditing objects.

Rich.

1. Please help: Oracle 7.1 JDBC connections : portmaper error/general connectivity errors

Hi, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have been trying to make a simple java applet connect to an Oracle 7.1
database running on HP/UX.  I tried first using Oracle's thin drivers.
Their documentation said it only worked with 7.2 and up, but I wanted to
try anyway.  It didn't work.  Also, I am running/writing this java
applet from a Windows95 desktop on the same Lan as the Oracle HP/UX
server.

Someone from this newsgroup was nice enough to give me the link to SCO's
JDBC drivers for Oracle (as well as other databases).  I got everything
set up, but could not connect.  I modified the code to explicitly
connect to the database I wanted it to (so it wouldn't use the user
interface to get connection options).  I also address Universal Connect
code for Netscape security overrides because I need this to work with
Netscape.

This is the message I get:

** SQLException caught ***

SQLState: 08001
Message: Unable to connect to data source: Cannot get port number from
portmapper: server may not be running
Vendor: 0

I got this same message weather I used the applet or application version
of the example connectivity program that was included.

I used:

 String url   =
"jdbc:sqlr:172.0.0.1:Oracle;DBname=production;DBuser=dbo;DBauth=dbo;
Application=example;DebugPCFile=vwodbc.txt;DebugPCAppend=0;DebugOptions=895"

for the connection string.  (172.0.0.1 is not the real address I used,
it was another machine, not the one I was running this java
application/applet from.)

I tried using 172.0.0.1:1521 to explicitly designate the port, and I
also used Port=1521, as an option to see if that might be the problem.

If anyone has any ideas what I might be doing wrong, please let me
know.  I would like to get database connectivity with only jdbc so I
don't have to worry about users having ODBC or running another server
for some middleware program.

  Thanks very much,

    William Limratana

2. Network Bindings on Multihomed Server

3. Update table's column in table's trigger

4. HELP: Install Oracle 7.1 Workgroup Server on DEC Alpha Window NT 4.0

5. Mexico City, MX - Oracle DBAs needed

6. Oracle http Apache (Oracle 8.1.7) integration with Redhat 7.1 question

7. 2 Identifier columns?

8. NT, Delphi 1.0 CS and Oracle 7.1 ?

9. FA : Oracle 7.1 WorkGroup edition for Windows NT

10. Oracle 7.1 on NT 3.51

11. Oracle 7.1 to 7.3.4 on Windows NT