coping the control file

Post by Keth Slato » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Could there ever be a competent newbe question?  Oh well

My question is this when working with control files I understand that
I must use the alter database command to create a human readable text
file.  But would it be possible to just copy the file from one
directory to another?  Oh and would I need to do this durning system
maintenance or could I copy the file at anytime.

Thanks in advance

coping the control file

Post by Atta ur-Rehma » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 13:21:49

if by system maintenance you mean the full database 'cold backup' then
you copy the control file to the back media along with your data and
redo log files when you've shut down you instance.

if you want to be able to recreate a lost control file you'd use
the 'alter datbase backup controlfile to trace' command and save the
resultant output as script to recreate the control file if you lose all
the multiplexed control files.

and if you're running NT, you won't be able to copy the control file
while your database is open, that's a sharing voilatoin for NT. I'm not
really sure about UNIX.

Quote:> Could there ever be a competent newbe question?  Oh well

--

getting the meanin' of data...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

coping the control file

Post by Lehman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The 'alter datbase backup controlfile to trace' command is the way to go if
you want a readable controlfile. What you get in the trace catalog is a
"create database" command which includes references to all the redologs and
datafiles with  reuse clauses. Try it and look - no harm done by this ;-) A
good idea is to do this every time you change the phy. state of your
database (eg. adding a new datafile).
You use this script if you need to create a new set of controlfiles. If your
goal is to dublicate the existing controlfile to gain security through
redundance - shutdown  the DB and copy the controlfile to a new phy. disk
and insert the path into the control_file line of init<SID>.ora and then
restart the db.

Hope this helps you
Lehmann

> if by system maintenance you mean the full database 'cold backup' then
> you copy the control file to the back media along with your data and
> redo log files when you've shut down you instance.

> if you want to be able to recreate a lost control file you'd use
> the 'alter datbase backup controlfile to trace' command and save the
> resultant output as script to recreate the control file if you lose all
> the multiplexed control files.

> and if you're running NT, you won't be able to copy the control file
> while your database is open, that's a sharing voilatoin for NT. I'm not
> really sure about UNIX.

> > Could there ever be a competent newbe question?  Oh well

> > My question is this when working with control files I understand that
> > I must use the alter database command to create a human readable text
> > file.  But would it be possible to just copy the file from one
> > directory to another?  Oh and would I need to do this durning system
> > maintenance or could I copy the file at anytime.

> > Thanks in advance

> --

> getting the meanin' of data...

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

coping the control file

Post by Keth » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thank you for your reply's your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Keth

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:03:15 +0200, "Lehmann"

>The 'alter datbase backup controlfile to trace' command is the way to go if
>you want a readable controlfile. What you get in the trace catalog is a
>"create database" command which includes references to all the redologs and
>datafiles with  reuse clauses. Try it and look - no harm done by this ;-) A
>good idea is to do this every time you change the phy. state of your
>database (eg. adding a new datafile).
>You use this script if you need to create a new set of controlfiles. If your
>goal is to dublicate the existing controlfile to gain security through
>redundance - shutdown  the DB and copy the controlfile to a new phy. disk
>and insert the path into the control_file line of init<SID>.ora and then
>restart the db.

>Hope this helps you
>Lehmann

>> if by system maintenance you mean the full database 'cold backup' then
>> you copy the control file to the back media along with your data and
>> redo log files when you've shut down you instance.

>> if you want to be able to recreate a lost control file you'd use
>> the 'alter datbase backup controlfile to trace' command and save the
>> resultant output as script to recreate the control file if you lose all
>> the multiplexed control files.

>> and if you're running NT, you won't be able to copy the control file
>> while your database is open, that's a sharing voilatoin for NT. I'm not
>> really sure about UNIX.

>> > Could there ever be a competent newbe question?  Oh well

>> > My question is this when working with control files I understand that
>> > I must use the alter database command to create a human readable text
>> > file.  But would it be possible to just copy the file from one
>> > directory to another?  Oh and would I need to do this durning system
>> > maintenance or could I copy the file at anytime.

>> > Thanks in advance

>> --

>> getting the meanin' of data...

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Before you buy.

coping the control file

Post by Howard J. Roger » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 09:21:43

Quote:> Could there ever be a competent newbe question?  Oh well

> My question is this when working with control files I understand that
> I must use the alter database command to create a human readable text
> file.  But would it be possible to just copy the file from one
> directory to another?  Oh and would I need to do this durning system
> maintenance or could I copy the file at anytime.

> Thanks in advance

If the database is up and running, then no, you can't just copy the control
file -it will be internally inconsistent, and unuseable.  That's why the
command 'alter database backup controlfile to 'c:\overthere\control.bkp' was
invented -because Oracle is producing the copy, it is guaranteed consistent.
However, that command can indeed be issued at any time of the day or night.

If the database is fully shut down, then you can copy it as though it were
any other file on your disk.

But the real issue is this: copying the controlfile is fine for when you
want to start out mirroring.  After that, binary versions of the controlfile
are a royal pain in the *to work with.  When you come to use an old
binary copy of the controlfile to recover a database that has lost all its
originals, you will be forced to open the database with a resetlogs -and
that means, nasically, that all prior backups and all prior archives (if
you're taking them) are rendered instantly worthless -they now relate to a
prior incarnation of the database, and can't be used for the present
incarnation (except under extraordinary circumstances).  Resetlogs is,
therefore, a VERY expensive option, and a binary image of the controlfile
will guarantee one.

The text script you mention (the 'backup controlfile to trace' trace file)
is much the preferred method of recovering from total controlfile loss,
provided you keep it up to date... using it, all required copies of the
controlfile are regenerated from scratch, with the system forcing the
highest SCN found amongst the datafiles into the header of the new
controlfiles.  Thus, there is no resetlogs, and all prior backups and
archives remain entirely useable.

Regards
HJR

coping the control file

Post by Atta ur-Rehma » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 13:34:07

a question is embedded.

regards,

:) ATTA

> > Could there ever be a competent newbe question?  Oh well

> > My question is this when working with control files I understand
that
> > I must use the alter database command to create a human readable
text
> > file.  But would it be possible to just copy the file from one
> > directory to another?  Oh and would I need to do this durning system
> > maintenance or could I copy the file at anytime.

> > Thanks in advance

> If the database is up and running, then no, you can't just copy the
control
> file -it will be internally inconsistent, and unuseable.  That's why
the
> command 'alter database backup controlfile

to 'c:\overthere\control.bkp' was

Quote:> invented -because Oracle is producing the copy, it is guaranteed
consistent.
> However, that command can indeed be issued at any time of the day or
night.

> If the database is fully shut down, then you can copy it as though it
were
> any other file on your disk.

> But the real issue is this: copying the controlfile is fine for when
you
> want to start out mirroring.  After that, binary versions of the
controlfile
> are a royal pain in the *to work with.  When you come to use an
old
> binary copy of the controlfile to recover a database that has lost
all its
> originals, you will be forced to open the database with a resetlogs -
and
> that means, nasically, that all prior backups and all prior archives
(if
> you're taking them) are rendered instantly worthless -they now relate
to a
> prior incarnation of the database, and can't be used for the present
> incarnation (except under extraordinary circumstances).

Just wondering what these 'extraordinary circumstances' could be?

Resetlogs is,

Quote:> therefore, a VERY expensive option, and a binary image of the
controlfile

--

getting the meanin' of data...

Before you buy.

coping the control file

Post by Howard J. Roger » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> a question is embedded.

> regards,

> :) ATTA

> > > Could there ever be a competent newbe question?  Oh well

> > > My question is this when working with control files I understand
> that
> > > I must use the alter database command to create a human readable
> text
> > > file.  But would it be possible to just copy the file from one
> > > directory to another?  Oh and would I need to do this durning system
> > > maintenance or could I copy the file at anytime.

> > > Thanks in advance

> > If the database is up and running, then no, you can't just copy the
> control
> > file -it will be internally inconsistent, and unuseable.  That's why
> the
> > command 'alter database backup controlfile
> to 'c:\overthere\control.bkp' was
> > invented -because Oracle is producing the copy, it is guaranteed
> consistent.
> > However, that command can indeed be issued at any time of the day or
> night.

> > If the database is fully shut down, then you can copy it as though it
> were
> > any other file on your disk.

> > But the real issue is this: copying the controlfile is fine for when
> you
> > want to start out mirroring.  After that, binary versions of the
> controlfile
> > are a royal pain in the *to work with.  When you come to use an
> old
> > binary copy of the controlfile to recover a database that has lost
> all its
> > originals, you will be forced to open the database with a resetlogs -
> and
> > that means, nasically, that all prior backups and all prior archives
> (if
> > you're taking them) are rendered instantly worthless -they now relate
> to a
> > prior incarnation of the database, and can't be used for the present
> > incarnation (except under extraordinary circumstances).

> Just wondering what these 'extraordinary circumstances' could be?

You really don't want to go there, plus there's no need if (as usually
recommended) you perform a complete closed backup of your newly-incarnated
database after doing the resetlogs.

Nevertheless, if the wind is blowing in the right direction, and the moon is
in the fourth quarter on an alternate Wednesday, then it is possible to
store the new controlfile out of harms way, bring back the old one and all
the old datafiles, do a recover until the checkpoint number that represented
the point at which you did the resetlogs, then bring back the new version of
the controlfile, and perform further recovery to bring the new incarnation
back up to date.  It's called 'recovery through resetlogs', and its
nerve-wracking stuff -and as I say if you can avoid it by the simple
expedient of taking a new backup straight after doing a resetlogs, you'd be
well advised to do so.

It's described in section 7.3 of the backup and recovery document I have on
my web site (page 40) -www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

Regards
HJR

Quote:> Resetlogs is,
> > therefore, a VERY expensive option, and a binary image of the
> controlfile
> > will guarantee one.

> > The text script you mention (the 'backup controlfile to trace' trace
> file)
> > is much the preferred method of recovering from total controlfile
> loss,
> > provided you keep it up to date... using it, all required copies of
> the
> > controlfile are regenerated from scratch, with the system forcing the
> > highest SCN found amongst the datafiles into the header of the new
> > controlfiles.  Thus, there is no resetlogs, and all prior backups and
> > archives remain entirely useable.

> > Regards
> > HJR

> --

> getting the meanin' of data...

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

1. file is more recent than control file-old control file

hello, we have the following error, when starting oracle :

Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.4       Generic July 1994

SQL*DBA: Release 7.1.6.2.0 - Production on Tue Oct 12 10:43:02 1999

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994.  All rights reserved.

Oracle7 Server Release 7.1.6.2.0 - Production Release
With the distributed, replication and parallel query options
PL/SQL Release 2.1.6.2.0 - Production

SQLDBA> Connected.
SQLDBA> ORACLE instance started.
Database mounted.
ORA-01122: database file 8 failed verification check
ORA-01110: data file 8: '/home/dbf_files/ZIS.dbf'
ORA-01207: file is more recent than control file - old control file

what is exactly wrong?  what to solve this?

thank you,
matthias

2. Moving SQLServer Directory

3. backup control file and standby control file

4. moving obdc to another server?

5. coping files

6. character translation problem

7. lnx_server.805.ins(268):WRITE-ERROR while coping a map file

8. SQL Server Profiler - Date Part

9. Code to deal with coping files to A drive

10. Coping .xls or .doc files into SQLserverDB (IMAGE data type)

11. Lost control files and a data file

12. file is more recent than control file

13. File is more recent than control file