Oracle Instances for a new application

Post by Jeff Ki » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello.

Could someone advise me here?

We have a developed application that uses Oracle.
We have, of course, no D.B.A.
Now there is a specification for a new application that will use a
completely new Oracle database (all new tables).

Our old one used the default instance (ORCL).

We are running the server on NT 3.51

How can I tell

1. Should I create a new instance for this new database? (How do I
know it is appropriate given my current
application/database/machine/server)

2. If so, how should I determine the parameters and more basically
3. How do I create a new instance?

Thanks, Jeff Kish

Oracle Instances for a new application

Post by John Robert » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Jeff,

you don't need a new instance here - all you need is a new schema. A schema
is just an Oracle user with a collection of tables. A database can hold a
number of schemas e.g. the one you have for your current application and
the one you may create for your new application.

Maybe some terminology will help :

a Database is just a collection of files that holds data

an Instance is a collection of operating system processes that makes it
possible to access a Database.

A Schema is a collection of tables, indexes, views etc. that holds data for
a specific purpose e.g. an application.

As long as you have similar up and down times for the 2 applications, you
can use the same instance and database - you just need to point your users
at different schemas.

Hope this helps ( if not, come right on back )

Regards

John Roberts

Quote:> Hello.

> Could someone advise me here?

> We have a developed application that uses Oracle.
> We have, of course, no D.B.A.
> Now there is a specification for a new application that will use a
> completely new Oracle database (all new tables).

> Our old one used the default instance (ORCL).

> We are running the server on NT 3.51

> How can I tell

> 1. Should I create a new instance for this new database? (How do I
> know it is appropriate given my current
> application/database/machine/server)

> 2. If so, how should I determine the parameters and more basically
> 3. How do I create a new instance?

> Thanks, Jeff Kish

Oracle Instances for a new application

Post by Jeff Ki » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Thanks.

I understand what you say, I was looking however for guidelines.
I realize I could put a new schema into the old instance, but what
predicates whether a new instance is appropriate or not?

One issue is ... "I think" ... is are there resouce requirements that
make extra instances bad unless absolutely necessary?
Also, since the databases are completely different, should the table
spaces be setup differently?

Thanks so much for your time,

Jeff Kish