Oracle Lite 3.0 does not use indexes ?1?

Post by Mohamad SALE » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi folks,
> I observe very strange performance problems with Oracle Lite 3.0.6.2.4
> I have a big table (about 6 million records) and a simple query like this:

> SELECT population_80
> WHERE population_80>1000

> If you index population80 (via Oracle Navigator) it takes about 5 min to
> complete the query. However, if you drop the index - only  one minute. Is that
> true that Oracle Lite uses indexes only for comparison "=" and not for "<" and
> ">" ?

Using indexes doesn't always mean better performance! If the majority of your rows
in the example
has a value > 1000, then using the index will be poor. If you use the rule based
optimizer approach
to execute the statement the index will be used even if it has poor performance
result!

1. Find Queries Not Using Indexes and Indexes Not Being Used

I know I am probably dreaming here but does a tool exist that would
help me find what queries on a daily basis that are being run against
our Sybase 12.0.0.5 DB not use an index.  I would also like it to tell
me what indexes have not been used in say the past 30 days.
Spencer

2. Ardent System Builder Data/C++ 'os_call' function question

3. Oracle Lite and JDBC, Oracle Lite Designer

4. Secure database with a Data Control

5. Strange error message

6. Doing a data search using VB 3.0?

7. worried about PGPASSWORD drop