How do I find out what archived logfiles are needed for RECOVER STANDBY DATABASE?

How do I find out what archived logfiles are needed for RECOVER STANDBY DATABASE?

Post by Paul Moor » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:49:49

I'm running a standby database. When I do RECOVER STANDBY DATABASE, it asks
for the next logfile it needs.

I'd like to do some checking that the files exist prior to running the RECOVER
statement - so the question is, how can I tell from the database (a V$ view of
some sort, I guess) what logfiles are needed for the "catch-up" recovery?

Thanks,
Paul Moore

How do I find out what archived logfiles are needed for RECOVER STANDBY DATABASE?

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 01:17:56

Quote:> I'm running a standby database. When I do RECOVER STANDBY DATABASE, it
asks
> for the next logfile it needs.

> I'd like to do some checking that the files exist prior to running the
RECOVER
> statement - so the question is, how can I tell from the database (a V$
view of
> some sort, I guess) what logfiles are needed for the "catch-up" recovery?

> Thanks,
> Paul Moore

The Oracle Standby Administration Manual  for 8.1.6 lists in chapter 5 on
almost every page a script to retrieve that info. It is called 'Identifying
the gap'
As the Oracle documentation is online at http://otn.oracle.com I recommend
you visit that site.
Of course you could also do a
select * from dict where table_name like '%RECOVERY%' and find your way
through it, but as I can't reproduce that script from memory, this is
possibly the quickest route.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

1. Recovering a deleted archive log for standby

I have two Oracle 8.1.7 databases. One is the production system running
in ARCHIVELOG mode. The other is a standby database. We move the archive
logs from the production to the standby database and apply them as
usual. However, we had a mishap when trying to develop some automated
archive log gap recovery scripts and one of the archive logs on the
production machine got deleted BEFORE it was moved to the standby
database and applied (also before it got backed up). We are now curious
what is the best way to recover from this? The production system is
currently okay, so we have a current system to make cold backups from.
Is there a way to recover the deleted archive log from the production
database or is it possible (and a good idea) to rebuild the standby
database from the current production image and then restart the archive
log thread. Thanks.

2. Statement Permission (Prevent to create/drop a table)

3. Recover datafile error - cannot find spec seqence # in archive log

4. Can't run second SELECT statement in JSP page

5. Bring back to norecovery or standby a database thats recovered

6. Partition Indexes

7. recover managed standby database doesn't work

8. UniVerse bye-passing LOGIN paragraph

9. Q: recovering standby database

10. Standby database and skipping lost Archive Redo Log

11. Database is recovered, now I want to use the archive log files

12. Recovering logfile in Informix SE

13. How to find number of Free Pages on Standby Database