Getting Developer 2000 R2.1 to work for Oracle 8i

Getting Developer 2000 R2.1 to work for Oracle 8i

Post by harley3.. » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:53:02

I've spent countless hours trying to sift through documentation on the
CD-ROM and technet.oracle.com, but can't find my answer there.  So
hopefully somebody from this newsgroup can help.

I have Oracle 8i Personal Edition and Developer 2000 R2.1 installed for
Windows 98.  Is it possible to connect to this database via Form
Builder 5.0 even though Dev2k is older?  I tried using the SQLPlus (an
older version) that came bundled with Dev2k to connect to a running
database on my machine, but it hanged.  Same thing happend when I tried
connecting to the DB via Forms.  I tried installing Oracle 7, but it
keeps crashing everytime it installs from CD-ROM, even after
unneccessary msvcrt.dll files deleted.

Any help would be a excellent at this point.

Thanks in advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I've spent countless hours trying to sift through documentation on the
>CD-ROM and technet.oracle.com, but can't find my answer there.  So
>hopefully somebody from this newsgroup can help.

>I have Oracle 8i Personal Edition and Developer 2000 R2.1 installed for
>Windows 98.  Is it possible to connect to this database via Form
>Builder 5.0 even though Dev2k is older?  I tried using the SQLPlus (an
>older version) that came bundled with Dev2k to connect to a running
>database on my machine, but it hanged.  Same thing happend when I tried
>connecting to the DB via Forms.  I tried installing Oracle 7, but it
>keeps crashing everytime it installs from CD-ROM, even after
>unneccessary msvcrt.dll files deleted.

>Any help would be a excellent at this point.

>Thanks in advance

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Of course there has never been a Designer 2.1 version *specifically*
(and certified) for win 98. This might be one source of your
problems,as winsucks seems to be never downwards compatible.
Designer 2.1 doesn't know about multiple Oracle Homes, so if you want
to use it, you'll need to install it first, and install Oracle 8i in a
separate Oracle Home, as Oracle 8i uses OFA, and doesn't have version
dependent executable and dll names anymore.
You also will need to configure in the listener of Oracle 8i and the
tnsnames.ora in your developer install.
Your problems with installing Oracle 7 are caused by a non-Y2k
compliant installer. This has been posted numerous times to the Oracle
newsgroup.
In short: it might work with this advice, and then again it might not
work at all, as Designer 2.1 hasn't been designed for Windows 98.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

1. Install Success- Oracle 8i (SE R2) on Windows 2000

I'm so happy!

I installed Oracle 8i (Standard Edition Release 2
8.1.6) on my Windows 2000 laptop, after having
alot of the usual installation problems. I will
review what I did which should help others.

The Oracle installation has two parts: the file
copy part and the creation of a database (a
wizard configures Net8 and creates the first
database). The first part took 45 mins and the
second part took 2 1/2/ hours. As the install
wizard says, yes this could take some time. My
problem was that the install (both Typical and
Compact) both crapped out near the end of file
copy stage. The log ended at the following entry
(on page 680 of the install log!): Starting
install install phase 2 of component Oracle
Protocol Support

Additionally there were other errors such as file
move errors and Java exceptions which led me to
suspect that the JRE wasn't being found. For
example, this is what we call a clue:

Exception thrown from action: moveFile
Exception Name: FileNotFoundException
Exception String: File not found
C:\WINDOWS\jre.exe

(Install wizard can't find the JRE there and
doesn't know where else it may be.) The rest of
the log was filled with exceptions and file not
found errors.

In order to correct this problem, I removed all
references to other JRE's and JVMs from the PATH
environment variable except for the JRE 1.1.7
which came with the Oracle install CD. I made
sure that the registry only had the 1.1.7 JRE
under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/JavaSoft/Java
Runtime Environment/1.1. (I don't know if the
registry step was correct, but that's what I
did.) Also I noted that the install program did
not modify the CLASSPATH variable so I fixed that
with the following:

CLASSPATH = C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7
\bin\classes.zip
PATH =C:\other paths;C:\Program
Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\bin;

Also you need to give your machine a DNS style
domain name as described in the release document.
I simply used the one in the example.

Windows 2000 Users- DNS Domain Name
If a Windows 2000 computer is not identified with
a DNS domain name, you will receive the following
error message: (Yes I had that error as well.)

Query Exception: GetValueKeyNotFoundException
Query Exception Class: class
oracle.sysman.oii.oiil.OiilQueryException

Perform the following steps:
Go to Control Panel > System > Network
Identification > More > Primary DNS.
Enter a domain name, for example, US.ORACLE.COM.

Perhaps only the CUSTOM install works for Win2K?
!!! I actually only had success with the CUSTOM
install option. Because the release notes say
that Oracle Enterprise Manager is not supported
on Windows 2000, I used the CUSTOM option to
deselect Enterprise Manager.

Well the wizard ran fine and configured Net8 and
set up a new database for me. At the end of the
process, a window appears telling you that the
installation succeeded. If the wizard just stops
running and closes, something went wrong.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Dynamic Cursor

3. Problem on install Developer 2000 R2.0 and Oracle 8.0

4. Selecting printer in ACE reports using prompt

5. Getting native PL/SQL compilation of 9i R2 to work on NT/2k

6. TRACING MDX QUERYS

7. Developer 2000 r2.0

8. database structure

9. Get fileinformation with Developer 2000 R2.1

10. Get fileinformation from a form with Developer 2000 R2.1

11. TX-DALLAS-19242--ORACLE-Designer 2000-Developer 2000-Application Developers Developer/Designer 2000

12. 19242-TX-DALLAS-ORACLE-Designer 2000-Developer 2000-Application Developers Developer/Designer 2000