hot backup offline db synch

Post by Tim Smi » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:39:22

Hi,
  I have an intel box running RH 5.2 with Oracle 7.3.2 (archive log
mode).
I have another intel box running RH 6.2 and Oracle 7.3.2.

Can I copy archived redo logs from RH 5.2 to RH 6.2 and have that
database in a constant recovery mode, thus synchronizing the data?

I do not want to stop the database and do exports as it would take too
long (60GB db, 10 Mb ethernet) and I have limited disk space left!

I then want to upgrade RH 6.2 from Oracle 7.3.2 to Oracle 8.1.7 - all
with a minimum (1-3 hrs?) of downtime - is it possible?

I guess this is where a Oracle DBA really shows her colours but it is
hard to justify the cost for this low funded project.

thanks!

Tim

hot backup offline db synch

Post by Howard J. Roger » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 04:16:17

You're describing a standby database, and that was possible in 7.3.  But
*managed* recovery mode was not available until 8i (where the machines
automatically exchange archives, and they are applied automatically at the
standby machine).  So if you're going to do it, you'll need to sit there
manually transferring archives, and manually applying them, unless you are a
dab hand with a shell script and cron.

I seriously doubt that 60Gb can be upgraded to 8i in 3 hours, but it's
impossible to tell with the information provided.

If the only reason you are contemplating the standby database is that it
gives you a 'clone' which can be upgraded leaving the source unaffected and
with no downtime, that's a fairly convoluted way to go about it.  Standby
databases can be invalidated by a single 'nologging' (or 'unrecoverable')
DML operation, and assorted bits of DDL will play havoc, too.

The upgrade process does not require you to use export and import: you can
do an in-place upgrade, which wouldn't require very much extra disk space at
all, and would be much quicker than a full export.  So downtime would be
required, but not as much as with export.  But whether 3 hours is
possible... as I say, its impossible to say for sure, but I doubt it.

Regards
HJR
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

Quote:> Hi,
>   I have an intel box running RH 5.2 with Oracle 7.3.2 (archive log
> mode).
> I have another intel box running RH 6.2 and Oracle 7.3.2.

> Can I copy archived redo logs from RH 5.2 to RH 6.2 and have that
> database in a constant recovery mode, thus synchronizing the data?

> I do not want to stop the database and do exports as it would take too
> long (60GB db, 10 Mb ethernet) and I have limited disk space left!

> I then want to upgrade RH 6.2 from Oracle 7.3.2 to Oracle 8.1.7 - all
> with a minimum (1-3 hrs?) of downtime - is it possible?

> I guess this is where a Oracle DBA really shows her colours but it is
> hard to justify the cost for this low funded project.

> thanks!

> Tim

hot backup offline db synch

Post by Tim Smi » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:22:50

Thanks, thats great info.  So to get a standby database kicked off on
another server do I have to make a mirror copy of all database files
and then start manually recovering?

Are archive log files binary compatible across platforms - could I use
a VMS box as the standby instead of another linux box?

thanks!

Tim

> You're describing a standby database, and that was possible in 7.3.  But
> *managed* recovery mode was not available until 8i (where the machines
> automatically exchange archives, and they are applied automatically at the
> standby machine).  So if you're going to do it, you'll need to sit there
> manually transferring archives, and manually applying them, unless you are a
> dab hand with a shell script and cron.

> I seriously doubt that 60Gb can be upgraded to 8i in 3 hours, but it's
> impossible to tell with the information provided.

> If the only reason you are contemplating the standby database is that it
> gives you a 'clone' which can be upgraded leaving the source unaffected and
> with no downtime, that's a fairly convoluted way to go about it.  Standby
> databases can be invalidated by a single 'nologging' (or 'unrecoverable')
> DML operation, and assorted bits of DDL will play havoc, too.

> The upgrade process does not require you to use export and import: you can
> do an in-place upgrade, which wouldn't require very much extra disk space at
> all, and would be much quicker than a full export.  So downtime would be
> required, but not as much as with export.  But whether 3 hours is
> possible... as I say, its impossible to say for sure, but I doubt it.

> Regards
> HJR
> --
> Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
> ===============================

> > Hi,
> >   I have an intel box running RH 5.2 with Oracle 7.3.2 (archive log
> > mode).
> > I have another intel box running RH 6.2 and Oracle 7.3.2.

> > Can I copy archived redo logs from RH 5.2 to RH 6.2 and have that
> > database in a constant recovery mode, thus synchronizing the data?

> > I do not want to stop the database and do exports as it would take too
> > long (60GB db, 10 Mb ethernet) and I have limited disk space left!

> > I then want to upgrade RH 6.2 from Oracle 7.3.2 to Oracle 8.1.7 - all
> > with a minimum (1-3 hrs?) of downtime - is it possible?

> > I guess this is where a Oracle DBA really shows her colours but it is
> > hard to justify the cost for this low funded project.

> > thanks!

> > Tim

hot backup offline db synch

Post by Howard J. Roger » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 04:12:08

Ah.

No... don't go there.  Standby databases are supposed to be run on
identical, or nearly identical, machines.  The disk layouts can be different
(different directories etc), but not completely different O/Ses.  You might
get away with transfering logs to a different O/S, but you also have to get
away with transferring the original data files onto the different O/S.  You
might get away with it... not having a VMS box ready to hand in my study, I
can't tell you for sure!  I *think* someone once posted here that a Linux to
Solaris transfer once worked.  But I can't be sure of that, and even if it
did, it was a sort-of Unixish-to-Unix transfer.  Last time I called VMS a
sort of Unix, though, one of my work colleagues practically decked me!  (He
happens to be quite keen on VMS!!)  I know Linux to Windows won't work, and
I think that's the kind of gulf you're talking about here.

So, this idea is really a non-starter, and I shouldn't have mentioned it and
got your hopes up.  Sorry.

> [...]

> > HJR
> > --
> > Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
> > ===============================

> > > Hi,
> > >   I have an intel box running RH 5.2 with Oracle 7.3.2 (archive log
> > > mode).
> > > I have another intel box running RH 6.2 and Oracle 7.3.2.

> > > Can I copy archived redo logs from RH 5.2 to RH 6.2 and have that
> > > database in a constant recovery mode, thus synchronizing the data?

> > > I do not want to stop the database and do exports as it would take too
> > > long (60GB db, 10 Mb ethernet) and I have limited disk space left!

> > > I then want to upgrade RH 6.2 from Oracle 7.3.2 to Oracle 8.1.7 - all
> > > with a minimum (1-3 hrs?) of downtime - is it possible?

> > > I guess this is where a Oracle DBA really shows her colours but it is
> > > hard to justify the cost for this low funded project.

hot backup offline db synch

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 04:57:51

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 06:12:08 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers"

> Last time I called VMS a
>sort of Unix, though, one of my work colleagues practically decked me!  (He
>happens to be quite keen on VMS!!)

And rightly so. How come the best solutions
(VMS over any O/S, Arcnet over Ethernet, Mac over PC, O/S2 over
Windows) never make it?

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

hot backup offline db synch

Post by Michael Austi » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:15:13

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 06:12:08 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers"

> > Last time I called VMS a
> >sort of Unix, though, one of my work colleagues practically decked me!  (He
> >happens to be quite keen on VMS!!)

> And rightly so. How come the best solutions
> (VMS over any O/S, Arcnet over Ethernet, Mac over PC, O/S2 over
> Windows) never make it?

Oracle Rdb over Oracle "classic"  :)

Quote:

> Regards

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Regards,

Michael Austin            Registered Linux User #261163
First DBA Source, Inc.    http://www.firstdbasource.com
Sr. Consultant
704-947-1089 (Office)
704-236-4377 (Mobile)

1. SCR: Hot DB backup script

set serverout on size 1000000

declare

begin

FOR tspace IN (select tablespace_name
                    from dba_tablespaces )
LOOP

  dbms_output.put_line('ALTER TABLESPACE '||tspace.tablespace_name||
                        ' BEGIN BACKUP;');

  FOR dbfile IN (select file_name from dba_data_files
                 where tablespace_name = tspace.tablespace_name)
  LOOP
   dbms_output.put_line('!tar rvf /dev/rmt/0c '||dbfile.file_name);
-- Or equivalent

  END LOOP;

   dbms_output.put_line('ALTER TABLESPACE '||tspace.tablespace_name||
                        ' END BACKUP;');

 END LOOP;
END;
/

Hope that helps!

Jason.

2. Please help!

3. Clone DB using hot backup???

4. adXMLPersist with shaped recordsets

5. HOT HOT HOT HOT ORACLE POSITIONS !!!

6. Data Project help needed

7. Recover a DB from a hot backup.

8. UNIX scripts for hot backup of DB

9. Hot backup Informix db

10. Cheap SCO Unix DB with hot backups?

11. Hot Backup and Offsite Backup System

12. Looking for Recommendation on Backup Software that works well with Oracle in Hot Backup Mode