Want to clarify some concept about temp segment

Want to clarify some concept about temp segment

Post by Eric » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Some confusing on temp segment, could anyone clarify for me,

1. If a temp segment is using by one transaction, is it possible another
transaction will try to use the same tmp segment?

2. Is there anything about contention of temp segment?

3. If a single temp segment occupied almost most the space of the tempoary
tablespace. Is it possible that another transaction can not proceed due to
lack of space to have another temp segment.

Tnks,

Eric

Want to clarify some concept about temp segment

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Answers embedded

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

>Some confusing on temp segment, could anyone clarify for me,

>1. If a temp segment is using by one transaction, is it possible another
>transaction will try to use the same tmp segment?

Not if the tablespace the segment is residing in is a permanent one. A new
temporary segment will be created. If the tablespace is a non-permanent
temporary tablespace (ie it has been dedicated to temporary segments only),
temporary segments will function like rollback segments: a second segment is
allocated in the already existing segment

Quote:

>2. Is there anything about contention of temp segment?

AFAIK no

Quote:

>3. If a single temp segment occupied almost most the space of the tempoary
>tablespace. Is it possible that another transaction can not proceed due to
>lack of space to have another temp segment.

O definitely!
Quote: