Web Server Auth (using DB)

Post by Cliff Sockma » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

All,

We currently have a NT Oracle Web server which we are using to extract data
from a UNIX based Oracle Database.  We would like to authenticate users
accessing our web site.  We are aware that we can use many different web
server initiated validation routines (domains, OS password list, etc..),
but we need to use the existing UNIX DB password list.  We have heard that
this is possible with PL/SQL but have not found any examples.  We tried
using CONNECT, but are either using it wrong or it will not work.  Does
anybody know if you can authenticate users using an existing DB.  Any
info/solutions would be appreciated (Java / PL/SQL, etc..).

Thanks in advance,

Web Server Auth (using DB)

Post by Thomas J. Ky » Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Until version 3.0 of webserver the only way to do this is via the OWA
replacement cartridge or CGI-BIN program available on http://govt.us.oracle.com
under downloadable utilities.  It will work with webserver 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1 (but
not 3.x) and provides more then just database authentication in addition to all
OWA functionality....

you get the code and the binaries.

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997 14:20:32 GMT, "Cliff Sockman"

>All,

>We currently have a NT Oracle Web server which we are using to extract data
>from a UNIX based Oracle Database.  We would like to authenticate users
>accessing our web site.  We are aware that we can use many different web
>server initiated validation routines (domains, OS password list, etc..),
>but we need to use the existing UNIX DB password list.  We have heard that
>this is possible with PL/SQL but have not found any examples.  We tried
>using CONNECT, but are either using it wrong or it will not work.  Does
>anybody know if you can authenticate users using an existing DB.  Any
>info/solutions would be appreciated (Java / PL/SQL, etc..).

>Thanks in advance,

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government

http://govt.us.oracle.com

---- Check out Oracle Governments web site!  -----
     Follow the link to "Tech Center"
     and then downloadable Utilities for some free software...

-------------------
statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation

Web Server Auth (using DB)

Post by Jesse Baldw » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>>All,
>We currently have a NT Oracle Web server which we are >using to extract data
>from a UNIX based Oracle Database.  We would like to >authenticate users
>accessing our web site.  We are aware that we can use  >many different web
>server initiated validation routines (domains, OS >password list, etc..),
>but we need to use the existing UNIX DB password list.  >We have heard that
>this is possible with PL/SQL but have not found any >examples.  We tried
>using CONNECT, but are either using it wrong or it >will not work.  Does
>anybody know if you can authenticate users using an >existing DB.  Any
>info/solutions would be appreciated (Java / PL/SQL, >etc..).
>Thanks in advance,

Dave,
Visit the Oracle Goverment website Tech page for their downloadable utility
OWA cartridge.

    http://govt.us.oracle.com

Jesse Baldwin
Talus, Inc.