Newbie questions

Post by Ketil Z Mald » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

sorry to intrude with what I am sure are pretty naive questions, but I
*have* tried to read the documentation, FAQs and whatnot.  Anyway, I
have two Oracle installations, one local and one at a remote site.

My problem is that I want to move the contents of the local server to
the remote one, overwriting the data already there.  I've tried to:

exp full=y  the local contents, ftp'ing the resulting dmp file to the
remote machine, and doing imp full=y destroy=y there.  It fails to work,
complaining multiply that

        "CREATE TABLESPACE" fails, since objects already exist
        (shouldn't destroy=y take care of this?)

and then Oracle error 1119, mentioning an absolute path to a DB file
that exists on the local server, but not on the remote.  Any clues?

I've also tried to copy over a tar of the complete database, but when
starting up, it complains that it needs recovery, and won't mount.  The
control file seems to contain absolute path references, but I couldn't
work out how to fix this.  Giving the "recover" command in svrmgrl asked
for a log file name, and subsequently terminated with a "stat error" and
without creating the file.  Am I missing something?

I guess I'm fairly lost here, any pointers, suggestions, or clues (and I
do mean *any*) are most welcome.

~kzm

Newbie questions

Post by Alfons Riesebee » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Ketil

The tar file option should work if you first make a "alter database backup controlefile to (trace or filename)"
on your local/source system. A trace file is created. This file you can edit and all local/source
 path should be changed in de remote/destination path's. In this
script you can also see which file's should be copied.
Then you can start up the remote database by executing this trace script.

Regards,
Alfons Riesebeek

Quote:> Hi,

> sorry to intrude with what I am sure are pretty naive questions, but I
> *have* tried to read the documentation, FAQs and whatnot.  Anyway, I
> have two Oracle installations, one local and one at a remote site.

> My problem is that I want to move the contents of the local server to
> the remote one, overwriting the data already there.  I've tried to:

> exp full=y  the local contents, ftp'ing the resulting dmp file to the
> remote machine, and doing imp full=y destroy=y there.  It fails to work,
> complaining multiply that

>    "CREATE TABLESPACE" fails, since objects already exist
>    (shouldn't destroy=y take care of this?)

> and then Oracle error 1119, mentioning an absolute path to a DB file
> that exists on the local server, but not on the remote.  Any clues?

> I've also tried to copy over a tar of the complete database, but when
> starting up, it complains that it needs recovery, and won't mount.  The
> control file seems to contain absolute path references, but I couldn't
> work out how to fix this.  Giving the "recover" command in svrmgrl asked
> for a log file name, and subsequently terminated with a "stat error" and
> without creating the file.  Am I missing something?

> I guess I'm fairly lost here, any pointers, suggestions, or clues (and I
> do mean *any*) are most welcome.

> ~kzm

Newbie questions

Post by JHY » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

BTW, these are not naive questions.

> Hi,

> sorry to intrude with what I am sure are pretty naive questions, but I
> *have* tried to read the documentation, FAQs and whatnot.  Anyway, I
> have two Oracle installations, one local and one at a remote site.

> My problem is that I want to move the contents of the local server to
> the remote one, overwriting the data already there.  I've tried to:

> exp full=y  the local contents, ftp'ing the resulting dmp file to the
> remote machine, and doing imp full=y destroy=y there.  It fails to work,
> complaining multiply that

>         "CREATE TABLESPACE" fails, since objects already exist
>         (shouldn't destroy=y take care of this?)

> and then Oracle error 1119, mentioning an absolute path to a DB file
> that exists on the local server, but not on the remote.  Any clues?

> I've also tried to copy over a tar of the complete database, but when
> starting up, it complains that it needs recovery, and won't mount.  The
> control file seems to contain absolute path references, but I couldn't
> work out how to fix this.  Giving the "recover" command in svrmgrl asked
> for a log file name, and subsequently terminated with a "stat error" and
> without creating the file.  Am I missing something?

> I guess I'm fairly lost here, any pointers, suggestions, or clues (and I
> do mean *any*) are most welcome.

> ~kzm

1. Newbie...Newbie Question

Hi....I have just gotten hold of Oracle8 client ver.8.0.5....I have
installed succesfully on my Windows95 computer.....My question is can I
do anything (creating, modyfing, querying databases) by itself or do I
need to connect to a Oracle8 Server computer or another external Oracle
database.....

I think the answer is obviuos, but since I only have in my hands the
client CD, im wandering if i can do something useful with it.....

Thanks.............

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Delete the third word of the field

3. Newbie -very newbie- question

4. Powerbuilder and Microsoft SQL Server

5. Newbie question... ODBC and SQL server 6.5 Question

6. ******NY/NJ-ORACLE DBA'S/TRIGGERS/SOLARIS-WANTED************

7. Dumb Newbie Question datatype question

8. Mac network with FM 3

9. Newbie question ( certainly stupid question)

10. DB-LIB question ( newbie question )

11. Newbie Question: Informix-4GL Questions???

12. Newbie question runtime question

13. Newbie question: Exact 3.71 and Crystal 8.0 question