upgrade from oracle 7.2.2 to Oracle 8i

upgrade from oracle 7.2.2 to Oracle 8i

Post by srana5.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Hi there,

We have one AIX Box containing Oracle database version 7.2.2. We need
to migrate from version 7.2.2  to Oracle 8i in NT machine.

What would be the proper way to migrate from AIX box to NT machine and
upgraded into oracle 8i.

Your valueable suggession would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Sohail

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

upgrade from oracle 7.2.2 to Oracle 8i

Post by steveee.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Hi,

This is a very detailed question..basically you migrate to 8 then
upgrade to 8i..there are parameters that change or disappear in the
parameter file, changes to be aware of with ROWIDs,the data dictionary.
Also at least three migration tools I know of (Migration Utility,
Import/Export, Table copy)..

I'd recommend checking out the documentation on this..oracle technet.

It's a pretty involved question to answer here, at least in my humble
opinion.

Best luck,
Steve



> Hi there,

> We have one AIX Box containing Oracle database version 7.2.2. We need
> to migrate from version 7.2.2  to Oracle 8i in NT machine.

> What would be the proper way to migrate from AIX box to NT machine and
> upgraded into oracle 8i.

> Your valueable suggession would be highly appreciated.

> Thanks
> Sohail

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

upgrade from oracle 7.2.2 to Oracle 8i

Post by srana5.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Hi Steve,

Thanks for your prompt reply. If you could guide me the process like
what is the best way to migrate and what should be done first operating
system first and then upgrade for newer version?
Your expert advise would be higly appreaciated

Thanks
Sohail



> Hi,

> This is a very detailed question..basically you migrate to 8 then
> upgrade to 8i..there are parameters that change or disappear in the
> parameter file, changes to be aware of with ROWIDs,the data
dictionary.
> Also at least three migration tools I know of (Migration Utility,
> Import/Export, Table copy)..

> I'd recommend checking out the documentation on this..oracle technet.

> It's a pretty involved question to answer here, at least in my humble
> opinion.

> Best luck,
> Steve



> > Hi there,

> > We have one AIX Box containing Oracle database version 7.2.2. We
need
> > to migrate from version 7.2.2  to Oracle 8i in NT machine.

> > What would be the proper way to migrate from AIX box to NT machine
and
> > upgraded into oracle 8i.

> > Your valueable suggession would be highly appreciated.

> > Thanks
> > Sohail

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

upgrade from oracle 7.2.2 to Oracle 8i

Post by Brian Peaslan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


If you are going from 7 to 8i and at the same time you will be switching
from a Unix platform to a NT platform, then I'd suggest using
export/import to perform your migration. This will let you migrate and
switch platforms in one step. The Oracle Migration Guide on Technet has
all the information you'll need for this operation. I suggest that you
read it before you begin.

Quote:> This is a very detailed question..basically you migrate to 8 then
> upgrade to 8i..there are parameters that change or disappear in the

You do not need to go to Oracle 8 before you upgrade to 8i. You can
migrate directly from Oracle 7 to Oracle 8i.

HTH,
Brian

 
 
 

upgrade from oracle 7.2.2 to Oracle 8i

Post by srana5.. » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 02:05:09


Thanks for your reply, question regarding export and import

 If I export from version 7.2.2 can I import into Oracle 8i using the
same dump file i exported by version 7.2.2( Or should I need to run any
script for the version compatibility before importing them into 8i)?

Your reply would be highly appreciable

Thanks
Sohail



Quote:> If you are going from 7 to 8i and at the same time you will be
switching
> from a Unix platform to a NT platform, then I'd suggest using
> export/import to perform your migration. This will let you migrate and
> switch platforms in one step. The Oracle Migration Guide on Technet
has
> all the information you'll need for this operation. I suggest that you
> read it before you begin.

> > This is a very detailed question..basically you migrate to 8 then
> > upgrade to 8i..there are parameters that change or disappear in the

> You do not need to go to Oracle 8 before you upgrade to 8i. You can
> migrate directly from Oracle 7 to Oracle 8i.

> HTH,
> Brian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.