Setting NLS_LANG on W2000

Post by v » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:07:33

Hello there!

I read all the messages in this group before I decided to post this
message, so please bear one more NLS related question...

My goal:
- export from a UTF8 database some tables and then import this data
into a UTF8 database

My system's configuration (both DBs):
- NLS_LANGUAGE=AMERICAN
- NLS_CHARACTERSET=UTF8
- NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET=UTF8

(extracted from 'select * from sys.props$')

- system variable NLS_LANG set to UTF8
- in Registry, i have the following keys:

HKLM\Software\Oracle\NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8
HKLM\Software\Oracle\ALL_HOMES\ID0\NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8
HKLM\Software\Oracle\HOME0\NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8

When I try to connect to DB to export, the sqlplus fails with error
"ERROR:
ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified"

However, the DBA Studio works just fine...

Finally, when I try to export a table (only the table's rows), all I
get is:

EXP-00056: ORACLE error 12705 encountered
ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified
EXP-00030: Unexpected End-Of-File encountered while reading input
EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

If you see something wrong in my settings, please give me a
clue...because I'm stuck! :-((

Thank you for your time!

VG.

Setting NLS_LANG on W2000

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:43:29

Quote:> Hello there!

> I read all the messages in this group before I decided to post this
> message, so please bear one more NLS related question...

> My goal:
> - export from a UTF8 database some tables and then import this data
> into a UTF8 database

> My system's configuration (both DBs):
> - NLS_LANGUAGE=AMERICAN
> - NLS_CHARACTERSET=UTF8
> - NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET=UTF8

> (extracted from 'select * from sys.props$')

> - system variable NLS_LANG set to UTF8
> - in Registry, i have the following keys:

> HKLM\Software\Oracle\NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8
> HKLM\Software\Oracle\ALL_HOMES\ID0\NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8
> HKLM\Software\Oracle\HOME0\NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8

> When I try to connect to DB to export, the sqlplus fails with error
> "ERROR:
> ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified"

> However, the DBA Studio works just fine...

> Finally, when I try to export a table (only the table's rows), all I
> get is:

> EXP-00056: ORACLE error 12705 encountered
> ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified
> EXP-00030: Unexpected End-Of-File encountered while reading input
> EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

> If you see something wrong in my settings, please give me a
> clue...because I'm stuck! :-((

> Thank you for your time!

> VG.

Try select * from v$nls_valid_values
this will show what is available to you.
This might also be a client issue.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

Setting NLS_LANG on W2000

Post by v » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:59:37

It was the NLS_LANG environment variable...It should be
AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8, not just UTF8. Oh, boy...

VG

1. Problem with Reports when NLS_LANG set

When running Reports 2.5.5.5 on SCO OpenServer5.5 I get an error
REP-3000: Internal error starting Oracle Toolkit. When NLS_LANG is
unset, the problem disappears as if by magic.

Any Ideas?

HAP 8^)

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
All that is visible must grow beyond itself

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Queries fail to run return data after time.

3. How to set NLS_LANG of a database?

4. Pipeline Newsletter for Oracle & DB2 - April Issue

5. HELP:Setting the NLS_LANG env parameter

6. tempdb on system segment is full...

7. Setting NLS_LANG env. variable

8. Informix 5.0 and PowerBuilder

9. Re-setting NLS_LANG from C++/OCI app

10. 2 nls_lang settings on 1 client

11. Question setting languaje (NLS_LANG)

12. Change NLS_LANG Character Set (NT Oracle)

13. HELP:Setting the NLS_LANG env parameter