UTL_File: File on NT-Network

Post by Maike Elverkempe » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
I have got the following problem:
I want to import data into Oracle 8.0.5 from a plain textfile on a
NT-network. I use the UTL_File Package, and it works fine if the file is
placed locally on my computer. When I try to open a file on the network I
get an invalid_operation exception. The UTIL_FILE_DIR parameter in init.ora
is set to *. I have tried to use the networkpath (e.g. \\server\USER\share\)
and also to map the networkdrive (e.g. I:\), but nothing worked.
Is there any chance to access the networkfile?

Maike Elverkemper

Post by Steve Hayne » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,
>I have got the following problem:
>I want to import data into Oracle 8.0.5 from a plain textfile on a
>NT-network. I use the UTL_File Package, and it works fine if the file is
>placed locally on my computer. When I try to open a file on the network I
>get an invalid_operation exception. The UTIL_FILE_DIR parameter in init.ora
>is set to *. I have tried to use the networkpath (e.g. \\server\USER\share\)
>and also to map the networkdrive (e.g. I:\), but nothing worked.
>Is there any chance to access the networkfile?

>Maike Elverkemper

I had the same problem, I ended up using local drives.
Steve
--
Please remove nospam from my address to Reply.

UTL_File: File on NT-Network

Post by Arjan van Bente » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Maike Elverkemper wrote

Quote:> Is there any chance to access the networkfile?

No, this behavior is by design. You might be able to fool Oracle by setting up
some links between the file systems, but UTL_FILE itself only allows for file
access on the server.

Arjan.

1. UTL_FILE -- accessing network drives under NT question

Is it possible to write to a network drive under NT using the UTL_FILE
package??  I have tried both full network path syntax
('\\machine_name\share\directory_structure') and mapping the network
drive to a drive letter on the Oracle server.  Any help would be
appreciated as this functionality is required by a program we are
writing.

Thanks,
John

2. Table Size Info Question

3. UTL_FILE, list of files, remove file - how to?

4. ADV PICK Export to DOS

5. UTL_FILE - Print Novell Network

6. Delphi3 and Paradox 7 - HELP

7. NT-Network - cannot write to files which are in use

8. TechTips: hard info about Paradox file-corruption on Win95/NT networks

9. Pdox 5 - Corrupted files on Windows NT network

10. copying files to/from D3/NT to network shared drive

11. UTL_FILE and UTL_FILE.FILE_TYPE