Questions about use of Oracle's svrmgrl in managing multiple instances

Questions about use of Oracle's svrmgrl in managing multiple instances

Post by Dan Rober » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello All

I have some general questions regarding the use of svrmgrl when managing
multiple instances.

Generally on my UNIX machine I will do a
setenv ORACLE_SID bioinfo2

and then connect to svrmgrl and connect internal and begin looking at some
dba tables for whatever reason.  Then I realize I want to look at dba
tables on the same machine but in an other instance.  How do I do so w/o
quitting, resetting my ORACLE_SID to something else and starting all over
again??

Is there a way to tell svrmrgl to connect to whatever instance when
starting the program instead of resetting the ORACLE_SID everytime??

Thnaks!!!>.>DAn

--
NOTE:REMOVE THE *.* in my address for direct replies
Dan Roberts

Questions about use of Oracle's svrmgrl in managing multiple instances

Post by Winnie Li » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

if they have the same oracle home and same oracle version (that is, at least
both are using svrmgrl not one in sqldba and one in svrmgrl). it should
work. I did that all the time.

Winnie

>Hello All

>I have some general questions regarding the use of svrmgrl when managing
>multiple instances.

>Generally on my UNIX machine I will do a
>setenv ORACLE_SID bioinfo2

>and then connect to svrmgrl and connect internal and begin looking at some
>dba tables for whatever reason.  Then I realize I want to look at dba
>tables on the same machine but in an other instance.  How do I do so w/o
>quitting, resetting my ORACLE_SID to something else and starting all over
>again??

>Is there a way to tell svrmrgl to connect to whatever instance when
>starting the program instead of resetting the ORACLE_SID everytime??

>Thnaks!!!>.>DAn

>--
>NOTE:REMOVE THE *.* in my address for direct replies
>Dan Roberts
>BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB PHARM. RES. CENTER      "Nature is last at Bats"
>PRINCETON, NEW JERSEY U.S.A. PLANET EARTH, MILKY-WAY GALAXY

Questions about use of Oracle's svrmgrl in managing multiple instances

Post by Jean-Philippe Squelbu » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

If your TNSNAMES.OAR is OK.

Dan Roberts a crit dans le message ...

>Hello All

>I have some general questions regarding the use of svrmgrl when managing
>multiple instances.

>Generally on my UNIX machine I will do a
>setenv ORACLE_SID bioinfo2

>and then connect to svrmgrl and connect internal and begin looking at some
>dba tables for whatever reason.  Then I realize I want to look at dba
>tables on the same machine but in an other instance.  How do I do so w/o
>quitting, resetting my ORACLE_SID to something else and starting all over
>again??

>Is there a way to tell svrmrgl to connect to whatever instance when
>starting the program instead of resetting the ORACLE_SID everytime??

>Thnaks!!!>.>DAn

>--
>NOTE:REMOVE THE *.* in my address for direct replies
>Dan Roberts
>BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB PHARM. RES. CENTER      "Nature is last at Bats"
>PRINCETON, NEW JERSEY U.S.A. PLANET EARTH, MILKY-WAY GALAXY

Questions about use of Oracle's svrmgrl in managing multiple instances

Post by Bruce Wilso » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

The same way you change connections in SQL*Plus.

You'll need to know the password of SYS or another DBA account to do

I think you also have to have SQL*Net set up for the connect_descriptor
thingy to be recognized.

Good luck.
- sooz

Questions about use of Oracle's svrmgrl in managing multiple instances

Post by DET » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Just to add to that: connect_descriptor needs to be defined in
/etc/tnsnames.ora

>The same way you change connections in SQL*Plus.

>You'll need to know the password of SYS or another DBA account to do
>this ... haven't figured out a way to get 'connect internal

>I think you also have to have SQL*Net set up for the connect_descriptor
>thingy to be recognized.

>Good luck.
>- sooz

1. Svrmgrl and multiple instance

Hi everybody.

I have two instance running on the same machine (RDBMS Oracle 8.0.6,WINNT
4.0 SP6).
When I execute 'connect internal' with svrmgrl I get connected with the
first one.
How to do in order to make that connect internal refers to the second
instance?

Thanks in advance

Davide

2. pgsql/src/backend/utils/init miscinit.c

3. Using svrmgrl to create new instance

4. Stored Procedures and Temp Tables

5. starting a database using 'svrmgrl'

6. Hahahaha Informix on Novell 4

7. starting a database using 'svrmgrl'.

8. Shell Command

9. Multiple databases managed by one instance

10. Managing multiple timezone on the same Instance

11. sqlplus /nolog can't manage instance

12. Advice needed: Multiple instances vs Multiple users in 1 instance

13. sqlplus /nolog can't manage instance