Impact of the year 2000 on Oracle systems

Impact of the year 2000 on Oracle systems

Post by Bob Johnso » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

G'day All,

A work colleague has asked me to post the following.....

'I am conducting a Year 2000 study for my client and am at the stage where
I am looking at legacy applications and development tools.

Could anybody give me any WebSites or NewsGroups that have recorded the
experience with respect to Oracle development tools, applications and
RDBMS's and/or if you have time could you reply with your experiences /
opinions?'

'I had heard that the RDBMS is OK but the PL/SQL date routines are a bit
suspect, is this true or not?  What versions of the stuff are in doubt?'

Thanks in advance to all who contribute.

Bob Johnson
Oracle DBA
BP Refinery
Kwinana; Western Australia

Impact of the year 2000 on Oracle systems

Post by Brian Membre » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I don't believe there are year 2000 problems PROVIDED you do not rely on
the Oracle default date mask.  But here's a tip from
the field!

I recently  checked out a system of around 200 V3.0 forms under Version
7.1, all of which worked fine UNTIL someone entered a date
of 29-FEB-00.   (The rule is that years ending in 00 are NOT leap years
unless they are also divisible by 400, ie 1600 AND
2000)    Hence, 29-FEB-(20)00 is valid and was accepted at ON-VALIDATE
level, BUT the forms as part of subsequent process
passed 29-FEB-00 to a procedure as a DATE type.   Oracle then applied its
standard date format (ignoring the century) and
collapsed as it attempted to validate 29-FEB-(19)00.  Everything worked
fine when the proacedure and calls were modified to
pass as a CHAR type and then converted using YYYY.     There may be ways of
changing the default format ,,, I guess the
message is to double check the 29th of February ...  at least if you get it
right, you won't have to worry for another 400 years!!!!

Post by Campbell Whit » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> G'day All,

> A work colleague has asked me to post the following.....

> 'I am conducting a Year 2000 study for my client and am at the stage where
> I am looking at legacy applications and development tools.

> Could anybody give me any WebSites or NewsGroups that have recorded the
> experience with respect to Oracle development tools, applications and
> RDBMS's and/or if you have time could you reply with your experiences /
> opinions?'

> 'I had heard that the RDBMS is OK but the PL/SQL date routines are a bit
> suspect, is this true or not?  What versions of the stuff are in doubt?'

> Thanks in advance to all who contribute.

> Bob Johnson
> Oracle DBA
> BP Refinery
> Kwinana; Western Australia

PL/Vision will be adding a Year 2000 PL/SQL Package in it's 1st Quarter
'97 release, available March 3. Developed by the renowned PL/SQL author
and instructor Steven Feuerstein, it will identify lines of code which
are date-related and automatically handle turn-of-century date issues.

More about PL/Vision can be found at http://www.revealnet.com

Hope this helps,

Cam White
RevealNet, Inc.
(800) 738-3254 toll-free, or
(202) 234-8557

Post by Geoff Ingra » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> 'I am conducting a Year 2000 study for my client and am at the stage where
> I am looking at legacy applications and development tools.

Oracle has produced a comprehensive whitepaper dealing with yr 2000
issues in Oracle products. I havent seen it on their websites, only hard
copy.

Geoff Ingram

Post by Bayard R. Coolidg » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

--

Quote:>>> Could anybody give me any WebSites or NewsGroups...

Have you tried comp.software.year-2000 ?

Bayard R. Coolidge      N1HO    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are
Digital Equipment Corp.         solely those of the author, and not
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA      those of Digital Equipment Corporation

    "Brake for Moose - It can save your life" - N.H. Fish & Game Dept.

1. Year 2000 Impact on Informix -Reply

At first I was going to tell you about Informix 7's method of dealing with
this and that it was not much of an issue.  But then I got to thinking about
it and I'm not sure how SE 5.0 deals with it.  Our main box runs Online 7
and the environment variable takes care of all of our problems but we
also have another box which runs SE 5.0.  So I wonder what the
implications are for this particular installation?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

The simple fact is that the database itself has *never* had a problem with
the year 2000. The database engine stores dates as integers
representing the number of days since 12/31/1899, and thus is able to
handle 2,147,000,000+ days forward or backward of this date.

Applications, however will have problems if they allow only two-digits
for the year, because the user cannot specify what century a date is in.
The newer engines (i.e., 7.x) allow setting an environment variable as a
default century, but this only circumvents the problem of a date
defaulting to a 20th century year (as would happen with current apps
using 2 digit years in their date fields.

The long and short of the problem is:

First, use only 4 digit year fields. Tell the users that is the length of the
field required, never compromise on that.

Second, upgrade to a 7.x+ version engine that uses the date
environment variable so that your apps can default the year to the
current century for users without them having to input all 4 digits of the
year without any specialized programming. This allows the date field to
act as it does now.

If you don't upgrade to a newer engine, the app won't break if rule #1 is
followed. Users would have to type a 4 digit year, though, unless there
is some customized logic in place. This "problem" is in reality no more
than an inconvenience. Consider the seriousness of year 2000 problems
with other software installations.

Tim

P.S. Did I mention always use a 4 digit year? :)

2. Bug in SQLServer concerning views and GROUP BY??

3. Re : Year 2000 Impact on Informix

4. Part time Oracle DBA work from home POSSIBLE?

5. Year 2000 Impact on Informix

6. HELP!! fpw 2.6

7. YEAR 2000 "BUG": IMPACT ON DATABASES AND DBM

8. Windows NT?

9. Question: Year 2000 bug and impact on databases, database applications, and database management

10. NE-OMAHA-113363--UNIX-Systems Programming-Year 2000-TCP/IP-SNA-SUN-AIX-UNIX System Programmer

11. TX-El Paso-103918--ORACLE-Designer 2000-Developer 2000-Oracle Systems Designers, INDUS