newbie basic questions

Post by Paul » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:49:38

I installed Oracle 8i for Linux and am just trying to learn the basics
of it. I am looking to do some VERY basic things in SQLPLUS but can't
seem to find any information on it in the book I purchased. Can someone
give me a tip on how to do the following?

- I have a sample database loaded. How do I list all tables in the
database?

- How do I list all fields in each table?

- How do I list the users that are allowed to login to the database
instance and access it?

These are the MOST basic questions...why wouldn't the book have this
info????

Thanks for the help!
Paul

newbie basic questions

Post by Howard J. Roger » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 06:12:54

Quote:> I installed Oracle 8i for Linux and am just trying to learn the basics
> of it. I am looking to do some VERY basic things in SQLPLUS but can't
> seem to find any information on it in the book I purchased. Can someone
> give me a tip on how to do the following?

> - I have a sample database loaded. How do I list all tables in the
> database?

select * from dba_tables  (or all_tables or user_tables -depends on the
exact scope of your query.  Dba_tables is genuinely the entire database).

Quote:

> - How do I list all fields in each table?

describe tablename  (or simply abbreviate to "desc" -hence desc scott.emp
will show all the column names for Scott's emp table).

If you actually want the contents listed, not just the field names, then
select * from emp will do it.

Quote:

> - How do I list the users that are allowed to login to the database
> instance and access it?

select * from dba_users

Quote:

> These are the MOST basic questions...why wouldn't the book have this
> info????

Does it have a chapter or sections on the data dictionary or data dictionary
views?  And check the index for a 'describe' command.  What book is it,
anyway?

Regards
HJR

Quote:> Thanks for the help!
> Paul

1. newbie basic questions

I installed Oracle 8i for Linux and am just trying to learn the basics
of it. I am looking to do some VERY basic things in SQLPLUS but can't
seem to find any information on it in the book I purchased. Can someone
give me a tip on how to do the following?

- I have a sample database loaded. How do I list all tables in the
database?

- How do I list all fields in each table?

- How do I list the users that are allowed to login to the database
instance and access it?

These are the MOST basic questions...why wouldn't the book have this
info????

Thanks for the help!
Paul

2. Windows 2k Hangs when creating Large database

3. NewBie:Basic question about OCI

4. db2 v8 and gcc on windows

5. vfp v 5 newbie--basic question

6. Linux/D3 nailed turnkey error

7. basic newbie memory hogging questions

8. How can I create a delete query based on two tables relations

9. Newbie question - very basic

10. rank newbie - basic stored procedure syntax question

11. Basic newbie question on database sizes etc

12. newbie - transaction log basic question

13. Newbie Access / Visual Basic question