Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Programme » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:24:02

Just installed Oracle 8i on my Linux Mandrake 7.2 machine.
I am trying to start the database, but get error messages
when attemping to run sql plus or svrmgrl.

The errors are;

    sqlplus -- error in loading shared libraries
                    libclntsh.so.8.0
                    cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

    svrmgrl -- error in loading shared libraries
                    libwtc8.so

These files exist in the /usr/oracle/lib directory.
Anybody know what my problem is.

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Trevor D. Sell » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:27:46

Been a while since I messed with Oracle, but is your $ORACLE_HOME variable
set in the shell you are attempting to run sqlplus in?

Quote:> Just installed Oracle 8i on my Linux Mandrake 7.2 machine.
> I am trying to start the database, but get error messages
> when attemping to run sql plus or svrmgrl.

> The errors are;

>     sqlplus -- error in loading shared libraries
>                     libclntsh.so.8.0
>                     cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

>     svrmgrl -- error in loading shared libraries
>                     libwtc8.so
>                    cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

> These files exist in the /usr/oracle/lib directory.
> Anybody know what my problem is.

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Ranga Chakravarth » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:36:58

Looks like the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

HTH

Quote:> Just installed Oracle 8i on my Linux Mandrake 7.2 machine.
> I am trying to start the database, but get error messages
> when attemping to run sql plus or svrmgrl.

> The errors are;

>     sqlplus -- error in loading shared libraries
>                     libclntsh.so.8.0
>                     cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

>     svrmgrl -- error in loading shared libraries
>                     libwtc8.so
>                    cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

> These files exist in the /usr/oracle/lib directory.
> Anybody know what my problem is.

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Programme » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:20:12

OK, that worked. I got passed that error to get another error.
This time the error is;    l

error in loading shared libraries
ibdsbtsh8.so

This file does not seem to exist on my system. Do you
know why. Is it a Linux or Oracle library. If it is Oracle,
why did it not load on install. Can I download it or what.
This version of Oracle  came with a book I bought
title -- " Oracle 8i for Linux Starter Kit".  The official version
is Oracle8i for Linux 8.1.6 Enterprise Edition

> Looks like the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set.

> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

> HTH

> > Just installed Oracle 8i on my Linux Mandrake 7.2 machine.
> > I am trying to start the database, but get error messages
> > when attemping to run sql plus or svrmgrl.

> > The errors are;

> >     sqlplus -- error in loading shared libraries
> >                     libclntsh.so.8.0
> >                     cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory

> >     svrmgrl -- error in loading shared libraries
> >                     libwtc8.so
> >                    cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

> > These files exist in the /usr/oracle/lib directory.
> > Anybody know what my problem is.

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Bria » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:34:14

Is LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to $ORACLE_HOME/lib ?

try export it and see what happens.

HTH

Brian.

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Trevor D. Sell » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:02:30

Not quite sure for Linux, but on Solaris, that library exists in the
$ORACLE_HOME/lib directory.

Trevor Selle

> OK, that worked. I got passed that error to get another error.
> This time the error is;    l

> error in loading shared libraries
> ibdsbtsh8.so

> This file does not seem to exist on my system. Do you
> know why. Is it a Linux or Oracle library. If it is Oracle,
> why did it not load on install. Can I download it or what.
> This version of Oracle  came with a book I bought
> title -- " Oracle 8i for Linux Starter Kit".  The official version
> is Oracle8i for Linux 8.1.6 Enterprise Edition

> > Looks like the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set.

> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

> > HTH

> > > Just installed Oracle 8i on my Linux Mandrake 7.2 machine.
> > > I am trying to start the database, but get error messages
> > > when attemping to run sql plus or svrmgrl.

> > > The errors are;

> > >     sqlplus -- error in loading shared libraries
> > >                     libclntsh.so.8.0
> > >                     cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > > directory

> > >     svrmgrl -- error in loading shared libraries
> > >                     libwtc8.so
> > >                    cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory

> > > These files exist in the /usr/oracle/lib directory.
> > > Anybody know what my problem is.

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Kbat » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:55:46

These libraries are separate downloads that must be installed before you
install Oracle. You can get more info as well as download sites for these
libs at the Oracle technology network site (www.otn.oracle.com).

> OK, that worked. I got passed that error to get another error.
> This time the error is;    l

> error in loading shared libraries
> ibdsbtsh8.so

> This file does not seem to exist on my system. Do you
> know why. Is it a Linux or Oracle library. If it is Oracle,
> why did it not load on install. Can I download it or what.
> This version of Oracle  came with a book I bought
> title -- " Oracle 8i for Linux Starter Kit".  The official version
> is Oracle8i for Linux 8.1.6 Enterprise Edition

> > Looks like the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set.

> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

> > HTH

> > > Just installed Oracle 8i on my Linux Mandrake 7.2 machine.
> > > I am trying to start the database, but get error messages
> > > when attemping to run sql plus or svrmgrl.

> > > The errors are;

> > >     sqlplus -- error in loading shared libraries
> > >                     libclntsh.so.8.0
> > >                     cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > > directory

> > >     svrmgrl -- error in loading shared libraries
> > >                     libwtc8.so
> > >                    cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory

> > > These files exist in the /usr/oracle/lib directory.
> > > Anybody know what my problem is.

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Steve Benjami » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:50:11

I also have the same book and enterprise edition CD.  I am installing under
Red Hat 7.
Sounds like you may have a problem with the .bash_profile changes (page 19
in my book).  You must be careful to do this logged in as the Oracle user,
then sign off and on again as the Oracle user to include the changes.  I had
problems early on by not keeping root and oracle operations separate, as
outlined in the book.

However, I have been battling with this software for about two weeks, also
with a problem in DBConfiAsst.   It goes until 80% finished then stops, as
soon as it gets to database initialization stage.  Please, folks, has anyone
got the software included in this book to work (ie has overcome these
problems)?

Thanks.

Post by Wojciech Ciepla » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:43:23

> I also have the same book and enterprise edition CD.  I am installing under
> Red Hat 7.
> Sounds like you may have a problem with the .bash_profile changes (page 19
> in my book).  You must be careful to do this logged in as the Oracle user,
> then sign off and on again as the Oracle user to include the changes.  I had
> problems early on by not keeping root and oracle operations separate, as
> outlined in the book.

> However, I have been battling with this software for about two weeks, also
> with a problem in DBConfiAsst.   It goes until 80% finished then stops, as
> soon as it gets to database initialization stage.  Please, folks, has anyone
> got the software included in this book to work (ie has overcome these
> problems)?

> Thanks.

look at
http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/
--

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Steve Benjami » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 05:30:31

Thanks for the link.  I have tried these fixes and all fixes on the web (eg
John Smiley 12/2000).  I have gotten the DB Config Asst to work but get the
same message now that started this message chain.  Will be watching for
posts to solve the missing libclntsh.so.8.0 problem.

> > I also have the same book and enterprise edition CD.  I am installing
under
> > Red Hat 7.
> > Sounds like you may have a problem with the .bash_profile changes (page
19
> > in my book).  You must be careful to do this logged in as the Oracle
user,
> > then sign off and on again as the Oracle user to include the changes.  I
had
> > problems early on by not keeping root and oracle operations separate, as
> > outlined in the book.

> > However, I have been battling with this software for about two weeks,
also
> > with a problem in DBConfiAsst.   It goes until 80% finished then stops,
as
> > soon as it gets to database initialization stage.  Please, folks, has
anyone
> > got the software included in this book to work (ie has overcome these
> > problems)?

> > Thanks.

> look at
> http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/
> --

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Steve Benjami » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 05:33:55

I am running with Red Hat 7.0 and getting exactly the same message.  I have
implemented all suggestions out on the web which allowed me to get by
initial DB Config Asst problems.  Anyone conquered this one with the missing
shared libraries?  (I have tried the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in one of the responses
but does not help).

Thanks for the help.

Quote:> Just installed Oracle 8i on my Linux Mandrake 7.2 machine.
> I am trying to start the database, but get error messages
> when attemping to run sql plus or svrmgrl.

> The errors are;

>     sqlplus -- error in loading shared libraries
>                     libclntsh.so.8.0
>                     cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

>     svrmgrl -- error in loading shared libraries
>                     libwtc8.so
>                    cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

> These files exist in the /usr/oracle/lib directory.
> Anybody know what my problem is.

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Redd » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:04:55

Quote:> Looks like the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set.

> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

> HTH

What is the HTH variable or is that you initials?

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Redd » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:06:56

Quote:> error in loading shared libraries
> ibdsbtsh8.so

I am missing the ibdsbtsh8.so library, could someone email it to
me.

Oracle 8i for Linux

Post by Juhan Kundl » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:37:52

> > Looks like the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set.

> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

> > HTH

> What is the HTH variable or is that you initials?

RTFM :)

http://www.ucc.ie/cgi-bin/acronym?hth

Cheers,
Juhan