TNSNAME.ORA, LISTENER.ORA

Post by Brian Ya » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

We are going to install Oracle7.3.4 on HPUX10.20. I am wondering if we
can configure TNSNAME.ORA and LISTENER.ORA by modifying existing(
functional) ones manually? Does anyone have this experience? Thank you
in advance!

Brian

TNSNAME.ORA, LISTENER.ORA

Post by Rob » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi Brian,
I do it so on NT, and all works fine.There is only one
Problem:After manual modification, the Oracle tool "Tool Sql Net Easy
configuration"
did not want to accept the modified file.
But the original file was backuped and so you can
regards
Rob

TNSNAME.ORA, LISTENER.ORA

Post by Valery A. Soroki » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Look also the book in the Oracle 7.3 documentation set:

  Understanding SQL*Net
  Part No. A424841
  Appendix B Syntax Rules for Configuration Files

I hope it helps.

--
Valery A. Sorokin
ProSoft, Russia, Moscow, Information Systems Division

http://www.dd.ru

TNSNAME.ORA, LISTENER.ORA

Post by Jonathan Genni » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 07 Oct 1998 23:01:50 -0600, Brian Yan

>We are going to install Oracle7.3.4 on HPUX10.20. I am wondering if we
>can configure TNSNAME.ORA and LISTENER.ORA by modifying existing(
>functional) ones manually? Does anyone have this experience?

I copy the same TNSNAMES.ORA file to all our server and
client machines. That way everyone has the same set of
database names. I don't think the same approach would work
for LISTENER.ORA, but I can't say for sure.

Jonathan

TNSNAME.ORA, LISTENER.ORA

Post by Ashok Rath » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have almost always done in manually. No problem so far. Syntax is a little
bit cryptic, so you would be better off copying the existing entry and
making changes to it.

>Of course can you do this manually,
>be carefull to follow the syntax ...

>--
>Best regards
>Anders Gunnare

>"Impossible only means that you haven't found the solution yet"
>                    Frontec Norr AB
>                    Anders Gunnare

>                       Aurorum 1
>                    S-977 75 Lule?
>                        Sweden

>                 +46 (0) 920 752 09

TNSNAME.ORA, LISTENER.ORA

Post by Steven H. Melle » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Does work ok for UNIX but under NT registry changes need to be made.

Steve

Quote:>I copy the same TNSNAMES.ORA file to all our server and