Oracle 8i, OWAS4.0 in a student lab

Post by Jan M. Stankovsk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Using Oracle8i & OWAS4.0 on Solaris7 in a student lab (PL/SQL)gives
major headaches.
As you can imagine there are not only first class programmes and
therefore some programm/process are either taking to much time or are
simple runaways.
At first I played around with the Profiles and limiting the resources.
(The student grants execute permission to a specific user 'de' ).
First of all I'm not sure if  I set the right limits. Second I'm not
sure if they work at all, because still process can block the whole
oracle, so that OWAS doesn't service the requests at all.

  16 db file scattered read                        -2 WAITED UNKNOWN
TIME

Such a process let the OWAS refusing to answer any further requests

Then I get:
        20 library cache lock                       0 WAITING
        39 library cache lock                       0 WAITING

and         10 SQL*Net more data from client       -2 WAITED UNKNOWN
TIME
        27 SQL*Net more data from client           -2 WAITED UNKNOWN
TIME
        23 SQL*Net more data from client           -2 WAITED UNKNOWN
TIME

Killing those processes let the OWAS serve again  the requests.

I don't think that we are the only ones who uses such a combination for
educational purpose. I would be greatfull for any input or hint, because
now it is unusable.

thank you

1. Oracle 8i Student edition

Hello Everyone,
I am new to Oracle and I am taking a class on it right now. The problem
is that the verison of Oracle that is Only a 60 day evaluation of
Enterprise Edition for windows. I would like to use it for longer than
that if possible, if anyone knows a way that I can get a edition that
last longer then that and runs on NT Server 4.0 or Solaris 7 please let
me know thanks...Liam

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. SQL 2000 Enterprise on W2K Adv Need to add Analysis Services

3. Oracle 8i MTS (Oracle 8i for Windows NT - Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server)

4. 31729-MN-Minneapolis-ORACLE-ORACLE DATABASE ADMINISTRATORS

5. import/export from sqlserver to sqlserver truncates large varchar columns

6. Does JDeveloper's EJBs work on Personal Oracle 8i or Oracle 8i Lite

7. Foxpro Programmer Wanted on-site

8. Differences between Oracle 8i and Oracle 8i Lite

9. Oracle 8i Listener and Oracle 8i Listener

10. Oracle 8i Standard vs. Oracle 8i Enterprise edition

11. Oracle8i vs OWAS4.x

12. Oracle University Press - Lab Solutions