one transaction use one cpu?

Post by susan.. » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:03:49

Hi,

I have a 4-cpus Sun Solaris 2.6.  I noticed that one database
connection/transaction only uses 1 of the 4 cpus.  If I only have 1
transaction, the other 3 cpu will be idled.  Is Oracle supposed to be
work like this?  Is "parallel server" the only option to make a
transaction uses multiple cpu at the same time?

Thanks in advance.
Susan

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

one transaction use one cpu?

Post by Ivan Bajo » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:15:54

No, you might benefit from using "Parallel Query" which will put more CPUs
to work on a single query.

hth,
Ivan Bajon, ocp

> Hi,

> I have a 4-cpus Sun Solaris 2.6.  I noticed that one database
> connection/transaction only uses 1 of the 4 cpus.  If I only have 1
> transaction, the other 3 cpu will be idled.  Is Oracle supposed to be
> work like this?  Is "parallel server" the only option to make a
> transaction uses multiple cpu at the same time?

> Thanks in advance.
> Susan

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

one transaction use one cpu?

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:29:25

Not parallel server, but parallel query, available in the Enterprise Edition
only.
The only other thing you could do is pbind the background processes to
different cpus.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

> Hi,

> I have a 4-cpus Sun Solaris 2.6.  I noticed that one database
> connection/transaction only uses 1 of the 4 cpus.  If I only have 1
> transaction, the other 3 cpu will be idled.  Is Oracle supposed to be
> work like this?  Is "parallel server" the only option to make a
> transaction uses multiple cpu at the same time?

> Thanks in advance.
> Susan

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

1. SQLserver 2000 works more slowly with two CPU than one CPU

Hi folks,
I've a problem, someone can help me?
I've a query very heavy that processes approximately four million tuple, and
to manages them with one CPU configured in SQLserver the average processing
is about 600 record per minute and with two CPU configured in SQLserver
manages only about 60 record per minute.
I didn't understand it..
Is there anibody can explane it to me ?
Thank you verygrazie.
P.S. the O.S. is windows 2000 server

2. Script Runner Le saux

3. open one table twice within one transaction

4. A DATABASE SURVEY

5. Only uses one of eight CPUs until load gets heavy

6. Copy SQL Server 7.0 Database

7. Simple one-table-query uses CPU 100%

8. Transactions Spanning 2 Databases On A Server

9. SQL uses only one CPU on SMP server

10. -VB one-one-one tutoring

11. P9 One to Many or One to One?

12. DTS lookup using stored procedure : one input and one output parameter

13. using trigers on one table in order to update another one (SQL 7)