Replication from SQL Server to Oracle 8.1.7

Replication from SQL Server to Oracle 8.1.7

Post by Andrew Pla » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 09:47:25

My Oracle skills are a bit clunky, so if this is a really stupid
question, I apologize. You can laugh at me. I won't mind. :-)

I need to do a very simple one way replication from that database to
an Oracle 8.1.7 system. All updates will be done on the SQL Server
system, so there is no need for a transparent gateway. The updates
don't need even to be done immediately. I could live with a periodic
refresh of the data like once an hour or once every 15 minutes.

I've set up a replication publisher in SQL Server, I can connect to
the Oracle database using SQL*Plus, I installed the Oracle ODBC
drivers on the SQL Server box...but then I get lost. What next? Could
somebody point me in the right direction or at least point me to a
document where I can learn how to do this?

Thanks for the help.

Andrew Plato

Replication from SQL Server to Oracle 8.1.7

Post by Niall Litchfiel » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 17:38:36

I'd install the Oracle oledb providers and then set up a DTS package and
schedule it using sql server job scheduling system.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Quote:> My Oracle skills are a bit clunky, so if this is a really stupid
> question, I apologize. You can laugh at me. I won't mind. :-)

> I need to do a very simple one way replication from that database to
> an Oracle 8.1.7 system. All updates will be done on the SQL Server
> system, so there is no need for a transparent gateway. The updates
> don't need even to be done immediately. I could live with a periodic
> refresh of the data like once an hour or once every 15 minutes.

> I've set up a replication publisher in SQL Server, I can connect to
> the Oracle database using SQL*Plus, I installed the Oracle ODBC
> drivers on the SQL Server box...but then I get lost. What next? Could
> somebody point me in the right direction or at least point me to a
> document where I can learn how to do this?

> Thanks for the help.

> Andrew Plato

1. replication between SQL server and Oracle?

I am DBA assigned to work on a joint-company project. The other company
uses SQL 7 server, we use Oracle 8.0.5 database. We don't want to
change our database platforms, neither the other company. But we need
to exchange data between each other. Can someone give me some hint on
how the replication works in this situation? Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Newbie: Active Directory Users and Computers

3. HELP:replication from sql server to oracle

4. scheduling

5. Replication between SQL Server and Oracle

6. Someone can give me a hand?

7. replication from SQL server to Oracle

8. Deleting/Renaming/copying tables

9. HELP:replication from sql server to Oracle

10. US-NC-Oracle DBA (Oracle replication Services, SQL Server, NT) DB Basics, Inc # 239S

11. Replication from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle 8.1.7: Invalid SQL

12. Oracle's Symmetric Replication VS Replication Server

13. Replication BT SQL SERVER in DMZ and SQL SERVER on LAN