Network Appliance with Oracle?

Post by Jennifer R. Amo » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 01:25:05

Folks,

I'm looking for information about the use of
a NetApp Filer F740 (from Network Appliance)
with Oracle. We are running out of space, and
one of the options available to us is to get
one of these network appliances. It shows up
to the system as a mapped, network drive.
I'm interested to know how Oracle treats this
network drive when it comes to distributing I/O
operations.

What if I have multiple network-mapped drives?
Will Oracle parallelize the I/O, or will it treat
these drives as if all the files were on one
disk drive?

Please send responses to me as well as to the group.
I don't follow the list daily.

Thanks,
  Jennifer Amon

Jennifer R. Amon

Web: http://junior.apk.net/~jamon/
I love music, nature, animals, books, antiques, children, family,
travel, and Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies! :-)

Network Appliance with Oracle?

Post by Uwe Schneide » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 05:04:22

Hi Jennifer,

> Folks,

> I'm looking for information about the use of
> a NetApp Filer F740 (from Network Appliance)
> with Oracle. We are running out of space, and
> one of the options available to us is to get
> one of these network appliances. It shows up
> to the system as a mapped, network drive.
> I'm interested to know how Oracle treats this
> network drive when it comes to distributing I/O
> operations.

> What if I have multiple network-mapped drives?
> Will Oracle parallelize the I/O, or will it treat
> these drives as if all the files were on one
> disk drive?

Oracle has certified using datafiles on NetApp NFS servers, since their
NVRAM is battery buffered (I don't know about using SMB). Performance is
medium on F7XX filers and excellent on F8XX filers compared to local
attached storage. Try to connect to the filer via GBit Ethernet, since
NFS throughput can be very fast. We measured about 70 MByte/sec. when
creating datafiles under Linux 2.4 / F840 / Oracle 8.1.7.

We found out that there is a speed-up from 7 to 14 disk volumes, but
more disks are useless.

Of course Oracle will benefit from multiple volumes if I/O is spread
among them.

You may want to perform some benchmarks before going into production.
Don't forget to run "sysstat 1" on the filer to find out about the
bottlenecks.

Uwe

--
Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7244 / 609504

DE-76356 Weingarten | http://www.richard-schneider.de/uwe
Linux - OS al dente!

Post by Jennifer R. Amo » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 05:42:42

> Hi Jennifer,

> > Folks,

> > I'm looking for information about the use of
> > a NetApp Filer F740 (from Network Appliance)
> > with Oracle. We are running out of space, and
> > one of the options available to us is to get
> > one of these network appliances. It shows up
> > to the system as a mapped, network drive.
> > I'm interested to know how Oracle treats this
> > network drive when it comes to distributing I/O
> > operations.

> > What if I have multiple network-mapped drives?
> > Will Oracle parallelize the I/O, or will it treat
> > these drives as if all the files were on one
> > disk drive?

> Oracle has certified using datafiles on NetApp NFS servers, since their
> NVRAM is battery buffered (I don't know about using SMB). Performance is
> medium on F7XX filers and excellent on F8XX filers compared to local
> attached storage. Try to connect to the filer via GBit Ethernet, since
> NFS throughput can be very fast. We measured about 70 MByte/sec. when
> creating datafiles under Linux 2.4 / F840 / Oracle 8.1.7.

> We found out that there is a speed-up from 7 to 14 disk volumes, but
> more disks are useless.

> Of course Oracle will benefit from multiple volumes if I/O is spread
> among them.

With direct-connect drives, the benefit is only seen when the
I/O is spread across I/O controllers, right? So, if there are
multiple partitions on a single disk or raid array, the benefit
is not there. Oracle still sees and uses a single I/O controller.

That's why I'm wondering about the Oracle handling of either
network drives or pseudo network drives.

> You may want to perform some benchmarks before going into production.
> Don't forget to run "sysstat 1" on the filer to find out about the
> bottlenecks.

> Uwe

> --
> Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7244 / 609504

> DE-76356 Weingarten | http://www.richard-schneider.de/uwe
> Linux - OS al dente!

Thanks!

Network Appliance with Oracle?

Post by Mik » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 07:44:04

Hi Jennifer:

Good Question! The safe answer before testing is that 'your mileage
may vary'. When looking at a NAS or SAN solution remember that you
must also be concerend with your network and not only your storage.
Also, The Netapp 740 only goes up to about 1 TB raw. So you should
really double check to see how much storage you need and what the file
system and snapshot reserve is . You may have to go to an 800 series
filer if you expect your storage requirements to go over 600 GB
useable... (very rough estimate)

Good Luck!
Michael Linett - President
Zerowait Corp.  888.811.0808
High Availability Network Analysis & Engineering
www.zerowait.com  www.nas-san.com  www.loadbalancing.net
What Does High Availability Mean To You?
Data Storage * Load Balancing * VPN

> > Hi Jennifer,

> > > Folks,

> > > I'm looking for information about the use of
> > > a NetApp Filer F740 (from Network Appliance)
> > > with Oracle. We are running out of space, and
> > > one of the options available to us is to get
> > > one of these network appliances. It shows up
> > > to the system as a mapped, network drive.
> > > I'm interested to know how Oracle treats this
> > > network drive when it comes to distributing I/O
> > > operations.

> > > What if I have multiple network-mapped drives?
> > > Will Oracle parallelize the I/O, or will it treat
> > > these drives as if all the files were on one
> > > disk drive?

> > Oracle has certified using datafiles on NetApp NFS servers, since their
> > NVRAM is battery buffered (I don't know about using SMB). Performance is
> > medium on F7XX filers and excellent on F8XX filers compared to local
> > attached storage. Try to connect to the filer via GBit Ethernet, since
> > NFS throughput can be very fast. We measured about 70 MByte/sec. when
> > creating datafiles under Linux 2.4 / F840 / Oracle 8.1.7.

> > We found out that there is a speed-up from 7 to 14 disk volumes, but
> > more disks are useless.

> > Of course Oracle will benefit from multiple volumes if I/O is spread
> > among them.

> With direct-connect drives, the benefit is only seen when the
> I/O is spread across I/O controllers, right? So, if there are
> multiple partitions on a single disk or raid array, the benefit
> is not there. Oracle still sees and uses a single I/O controller.

> That's why I'm wondering about the Oracle handling of either
> network drives or pseudo network drives.

> > You may want to perform some benchmarks before going into production.
> > Don't forget to run "sysstat 1" on the filer to find out about the
> > bottlenecks.

> > Uwe

> > --
> > Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7244 / 609504

> > DE-76356 Weingarten | http://www.richard-schneider.de/uwe
> > Linux - OS al dente!

> Thanks!

1. HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if anyone out there is using a Network
Appliance filer to host their SQL database(s) in a production
environment.   We are looking into this as a solution for our
Microsoft *and* Oracle databases, but I have serious reservations
about mounting database files across a network.

Is anyone out there doing this?  If so, what are some of the issues
you have experienced?  Problems?  Success stories?  Are you happy with
the combination?  Is there any danger of data corruption?

I am also running MSCS (kinda forgot to mention that) which makes me
even more nervous about network-attaching my databases.  I have read
the Microsoft Kbase article about Trace Flag 1807...

Please direct all answers to the NG's.

Thanks,

Carl

2. Stored Procedure Parameters

3. SQL 6.5 & Outlook Data Access Component

4. Paradox & Internet

5. Oracle residing on a Network Attach Storage (Network Appliance)

6. change owner of a stored procedure (or set it so 2 users can see the sp)

7. Oracle Appliance / Application Server Appliance?

8. Anybody using Oracle on Network Appliance?

9. Anyone using Network Appliance (netapp) and Oracle?

10. Oracle & Network Appliance

11. Oracle on Network Appliance's Netapp Filer