Character set /Language detection in ORACLE 8i and 9i

Character set /Language detection in ORACLE 8i and 9i

Post by Sume » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 05:01:28

Hello,

I need some help with determining the language code/character set code
for certain fields in a give table in oracle.

We store multi-byte data in our database which is 8.1.6 and 9.2 and
created with UNICODE and the default character set code.

This allows us to store data in various languages without any
conversion.

I wanted to know if there is an utility/function available that can
detect the character set code/language code for data stored in a given
column.

we have lot of multi-byte data which we think is corrupted and we need
to find the corrupted data.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Sumeet

Character set /Language detection in ORACLE 8i and 9i

Post by Guido Konsolk » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:24:43

Quote:> Hello,

> I need some help with determining the language code/character set code
> for certain fields in a give table in oracle.

> We store multi-byte data in our database which is 8.1.6 and 9.2 and
> created with UNICODE and the default character set code.

(snipped)

Hi Sumeet,

your database is 8.1.6 *and* 9.2?

Headscratching,
Guido

Post by Sume » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:21:54

> > Hello,

> > I need some help with determining the language code/character set code
> > for certain fields in a give table in oracle.

> > We store multi-byte data in our database which is 8.1.6 and 9.2 and
> > created with UNICODE and the default character set code.
> (snipped)

> Hi Sumeet,

> your database is 8.1.6 *and* 9.2?

> Headscratching,
> Guido

Guido,

What I meant was. We have couple of database which are 8.1.6 and a
couple of them in 9.2

So if you have a utility that works on one version and not on the
other, then you can mention which version the utility is compatible
with.

Thanks,
-Sumeet

1. Oracle Lite 9i, JDBC and character set

Hello!

I installed Oracle 9i and Lite 9i on Win2k Prof. SP2. It seems to work
properly, but when I try to add a new user in the control center, I
get the following exception:

java.sql.SQLException: Fail to convert between UTF8 and UCS2:
failUTF8Conv;

Oracle Lite 9i works as a module of the Oracle HTTP server and uses
the installed JDBC-drivers. I didn't change anything.

What can I do to solve my problem?

regards
Marco

--
Backup not found (A)bort, (R)etry, (P)anic?

2. SQLXML Schema query bug with more than 20 attributes. Is there any fix?

3. Oracle 9i on Linux - DB character set

4. Another ADO timeout

5. patch for character set encoding detection for JDBC

6. FmPro 4.0 editing

7. Should I study Oracle 8i/9i or 9i directly/

8. Vsize on Numbers

9. Non supported character set: oracle-character-set-96

10. Problem with character sets on Oracle 8i and iPlanet 4.1

11. Language and Character set aware string sorting on CLIENT

12. Language Character Sets