Oracle 8i EE on Linux

Post by Sofie Kempenee » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Now I have the JRE 1.1.6v5 (the right one I hope) installed.
The same problem still stands:

Working with :
Linux Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
Oracle 8i downloaded from technet.oracle.com

When I type
$ ./runInstaller
I get a fault like this

Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please wait
Error in CreateOUIProcess(): - 1
: Permission denied

>Hi Sofie,

>you have to get the J)ava R)untime E)nvironment as written in the Release
>Notes.

>Harro

I did not install Oracle on Linux yet (some download probs) but I guess
you have to do the installation under some special user (most likely root,
maybe you have to create an Oracle user an use that).
There must be some readme file which describes what steps to do before
call the installer script.

Quote:>Sofie Kempeneer

I ran the runInstaller from a user called Oracle in the group DBA

Hope that helps,
Lothar

P.S.: How did you download O8i? When I tried to download with
      Netscape 4.6, the archive started to load into the browser window
      instead of going directly to disk. So I had to abort having too
      few memory to hold the 260MB in the browser.

--

D-65346 Eltville        |

Oracle 8i EE on Linux

Post by Chris Weis » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Did you run all of the root scripts?  Did you establish the roles,
usernames, etc., in the installation guide with appropriate permissions?  If
not, the JRE will not run.  I had the same problem.

Chris

> Now I have the JRE 1.1.6v5 (the right one I hope) installed.
> The same problem still stands:

> Working with :
> Linux Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
> Oracle 8i downloaded from technet.oracle.com

> When I type
> $ ./runInstaller
> I get a fault like this

> Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please wait
> Error in CreateOUIProcess(): - 1
> : Permission denied

> >Hi Sofie,

> >you have to get the J)ava R)untime E)nvironment as written in the Release
> >Notes.

> >Harro

> I did not install Oracle on Linux yet (some download probs) but I guess
> you have to do the installation under some special user (most likely root,
> maybe you have to create an Oracle user an use that).
> There must be some readme file which describes what steps to do before
> call the installer script.

> >Sofie Kempeneer

> I ran the runInstaller from a user called Oracle in the group DBA

> Hope that helps,
> Lothar

> P.S.: How did you download O8i? When I tried to download with
>       Netscape 4.6, the archive started to load into the browser window
>       instead of going directly to disk. So I had to abort having too
>       few memory to hold the 260MB in the browser.

> --

> D-65346 Eltville        |

Oracle 8i EE on Linux

Post by Mark Szid » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I had same problem installing the 8i SE version off of the CD.  I
found that I could get the installer to run by running the runIns.sh
script that is found in the ./install/linux directory of the CD.

-Mark

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:24:30 +0200, "Sofie Kempeneer"

>Now I have the JRE 1.1.6v5 (the right one I hope) installed.
>The same problem still stands:

>Working with :
>Linux Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
>Oracle 8i downloaded from technet.oracle.com

>When I type
>$ ./runInstaller
>I get a fault like this

>Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please wait
>Error in CreateOUIProcess(): - 1
>: Permission denied

Oracle 8i EE on Linux

Post by Sofie Kempenee » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Solution found !!!
        The variable JRE_location in
oracle8i/install/oraparam.ini
        wasen't correct.

>Now I have the JRE 1.1.6v5 (the right one I hope) installed.
>The same problem still stands:

>Working with :
>Linux Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
>Oracle 8i downloaded from technet.oracle.com

>When I type
>$ ./runInstaller
>I get a fault like this

>Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please wait
>Error in CreateOUIProcess(): - 1
>: Permission denied

>>Hi Sofie,

>>you have to get the J)ava R)untime E)nvironment as written in the Release
>>Notes.

>>Harro

>I did not install Oracle on Linux yet (some download probs) but I guess
>you have to do the installation under some special user (most likely root,
>maybe you have to create an Oracle user an use that).
>There must be some readme file which describes what steps to do before
>call the installer script.

>>Sofie Kempeneer

>I ran the runInstaller from a user called Oracle in the group DBA

>Hope that helps,
>Lothar

>P.S.: How did you download O8i? When I tried to download with
>      Netscape 4.6, the archive started to load into the browser window
>      instead of going directly to disk. So I had to abort having too
>      few memory to hold the 260MB in the browser.

>--

>D-65346 Eltville        |

Oracle 8i EE on Linux

Post by Linu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Sofie Kempeneer schrieb:

> Now I have the JRE 1.1.6v5 (the right one I hope) installed.
> The same problem still stands:

> Working with :
> Linux Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
> Oracle 8i downloaded from technet.oracle.com

> When I type
> $ ./runInstaller
> I get a fault like this

> Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please wait
> Error in CreateOUIProcess(): - 1
> : Permission denied

> >Hi Sofie,

> >you have to get the J)ava R)untime E)nvironment as written in the Release
> >Notes.

> >Harro

> I did not install Oracle on Linux yet (some download probs) but I guess
> you have to do the installation under some special user (most likely root,
> maybe you have to create an Oracle user an use that).
> There must be some readme file which describes what steps to do before
> call the installer script.

> >Sofie Kempeneer

> I ran the runInstaller from a user called Oracle in the group DBA

> Hope that helps,
> Lothar

> P.S.: How did you download O8i? When I tried to download with
>       Netscape 4.6, the archive started to load into the browser window
>       instead of going directly to disk. So I had to abort having too
>       few memory to hold the 260MB in the browser.

> --

> D-65346 Eltville        |

Lothar, du kannst nach dem begin des Ladens der Datei in den Browser mit
"DATEI" -> "Speichern unter" die Datei dennoch speichern
und das sofort nach start des Ladevorgangs. Wenn Du siehst dass die ersten
bytes in der Datei landen kannst DU den Ladevorgang
im Browser stoppen. und normal weitermachen....die zweite Session rennt im
hintergrund weiter...

see ya later
Gerhard Wesser

1. Oracle 8i EE ON Linux

[...]

2. Any alternatives to RogueWave for higher level C++/Oracle programming?

3. Oracle 8i EE on Linux: can't set MAXEXTENTS UNLIMITED.

4. SQL MAIL and Notes and SMTP

5. Oracle 8i EE SDE extensions on 8i

6. Please HELP !!!

7. 8i (8.1.6) EE on Linux - dbasst crashes

8. US-NC-Systems Manager I & II, #517, #519 VMS Alpha DCL VAX Windows

9. Oracle 8i EE for Intel Solaris?

10. Oracle 8i EE or SE

11. Oracle 8i EE install problem on Red Hat 6.1

12. Missing file in download Oracle 8i EE

13. oracle 8i E.E installation on solaris ( on raw devices)