oracle export utility ?????

Post by andy » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

hi,

  I want to export oracle tables into flat file, using
  the export utility of oracle. Now i want to know the
  file- structure of the exported files. Since after this
  I want to import this flat file to Ms sql. So if any1
  knows something about this, pls tell me.

seeya,
andy

oracle export utility ?????

Post by John » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Andy,

To quote from Oracle docs:

Export extracts the object definitions and table data from an Oracle
database and stores them in an Oracle binary-format

endquote

It's intended to provide a way to move stuff between Oracle databases, etc.

The easiest way might be to write a script to extract the fileds and make a comma-separated file or something simple that MS/SQL (server?) might understand
for import purposes.

Hope this helps a little.

john

> hi,

>   I want to export oracle tables into flat file, using
>   the export utility of oracle. Now i want to know the
>   file- structure of the exported files. Since after this
>   I want to import this flat file to Ms sql. So if any1
>   knows something about this, pls tell me.

> seeya,
> andy

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

oracle export utility ?????

Post by bill.. » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

ODBC might provide the easiest means to get data from Oracle to SQL-
server.

We currently do such importing via MS-Access database with links to
tables in both an Oracle and SQL-server database.

You can then issue an SQL command/query from within Access
  insert into table1 select * from table2;

(This query assumes you've defined both tables identically).

You probably can bypass Access altogether, if SQL-server provides a
means to link to external tables.

Quote:> hi,

>   I want to export oracle tables into flat file, using
>   the export utility of oracle. Now i want to know the
>   file- structure of the exported files. Since after this
>   I want to import this flat file to Ms sql. So if any1
>   knows something about this, pls tell me.

> seeya,
> andy

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also

find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.
Smart is Beautiful

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

oracle export utility ?????

Post by marc.. » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I don't know what version of MS SQL you are using, and I don't know
what the objectives are of your data transfer.  I am only familiar with
MSSQL 7.0, but there is an import data utility in SQL Server that is
capable of importing data directly from an Oracle database.  It
connects directly to Oracle and you don't need to use Oracle's export
utility.  It does not lend itself very well for ongoing automated
processes, but it works well for a one-time move of data from Oracle
(or any other source) into a blank MS SQL database -- and of course
your MS SQL database has to physically be able to connect to the Oracle
database.

Quote:> hi,

>   I want to export oracle tables into flat file, using
>   the export utility of oracle. Now i want to know the
>   file- structure of the exported files. Since after this
>   I want to import this flat file to Ms sql. So if any1
>   knows something about this, pls tell me.

> seeya,
> andy

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also

find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.
Smart is Beautiful

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

oracle export utility ?????

Post by gjlin.. » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Don't know if you like to change your approach but why not go via
Excel. You've got a better handle on the data then...

Have a look at Oraxcel which may prove helpful.

You can fetch data into your spreadsheet and upload the data afterwards
into another table or database. Also update features are available

www.oraxcel.com

Regards, Gerrit-Jan Linker

Quote:> hi,

>   I want to export oracle tables into flat file, using
>   the export utility of oracle. Now i want to know the
>   file- structure of the exported files. Since after this
>   I want to import this flat file to Ms sql. So if any1
>   knows something about this, pls tell me.

> seeya,
> andy

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also

find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.
Smart is Beautiful

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Oracle Export Utility Problem

Hi Oracle Gurus,
i am facing problem when i try to export a table which contains 600000+
rows in it. My database gets hanged when i execute EXPORT. Im using SCO-
Unix as my OS platform.
Suggestions needed
Thanks
senthil

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. US-NJ: Princeton-Oracle Contractors Needed!

3. Oracle Export Utility!!

4. xml explicit attribute

5. Using Oracle export utility (exp)

6. Where to get WinNT ODBC drivers for Sybase 4.9.2?

7. export data from 8i using 7.3.4 export utility

8. US-MA:Data Warehousing Consultant

9. Oracle to SQL export utilities

10. Utility for Exporting from Oracle 8i to Postgre??

11. Oracle Export and Server utilities

12. Oracle utility to export tables