Oracle7 & Oracle8 coexistence on Windows NT

Oracle7 & Oracle8 coexistence on Windows NT

Post by Jarek Palk » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

We have old Designer 2000 r. 1.3.2 which works correct only with Oracle 7.3.
And we want work with new Oracle 8 server because of new features such like
Partitioning Tables. I had to install two servers on one Windows NT machine.
This is my experience with installing two different server instances on one
machine :

1. Install Oracle 7 with SQL Net 2.
2. Stop all Oracle NT Services.
3. In the same Oracle Home install Oracle 8 following with instruction.
Remember to name new instance with different SID !
4. Start both services OracleServiceORCL and OracleStartORCL (Oracle 7
services) without OracleTNSListener !
5. Both databases will use one listener (that from Oracle 8 called
OracleTNSListener80)
6. Write an appropriate LISTENER.ORA file : such like this :

################
# Filename......: listener.ora
################
LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS=
          (PROTOCOL= IPC)
          (KEY= oracle.world)
        )
        (ADDRESS=
          (PROTOCOL= IPC)
          (KEY= ORA8)
        )
        (ADDRESS=
          (COMMUNITY= TCP.world)
          (PROTOCOL= TCP)
          (Host= <host_name or IP adress>)
          (Port= 1521)
        )
        (ADDRESS=
          (COMMUNITY= TCP.world)
          (PROTOCOL= TCP)
          (Host= <host_name or IP adress>)
          (Port= 1526)
        )
  )
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = ADMIN
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = ORA8)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = ORCL)
    )
  )
PASSWORDS_LISTENER = (oracle)

7. Start OracleTNSListener80 and set them to start Automatic.
8. Enviroment variable ORACLE_SID points to instance if connecting local
database on the server.

Now there are two database instances on one machine.
Enjoy !

Jarek Palka

1. Oracle7 and Oracle8 on same Windows NT box

A few weeks back I encountered a really useful article giving details
about how to install Oracle8 and Oracle7 under Windows NT in different
ORACLE_HOME locations so that they would coexist.  I didn't bookmark
it.  Does anybody know of such an article?
#2 and closing

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Date conversion from _variant_t to CTime

3. Oracle7 Server and Oracle7 Workgroup Server for Windows NT

4. Problem with copydb using -c .

5. Oracle7.3 to Oracle8.0.4 migration problem on NT

6. How to get OSD for my Paraller Server on NT

7. What are the differences between Oracle7 & Oracle8

8. Large screens and sperform

9. Oracle7 & Oracle8 on the same server

10. Experiences of Oracle7 under Windows NT Server