'connect intrnal' password prompt

Post by trave.. » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:58:12

Greetings:

I just installed Oracle Server version 8.0.6 on HP-UX 10.2.

I am trying to get Oracle to start at boot.  When the boot
sequence gets to /sbin/init.d/dbora start, 'svrmgrl' is started
and a 'connect internal' is redirected to the input.  This part
of the boot script fails because when 'root' runs 'svrmgrl' the
'connect internal' bit prompts for a password.  The boot script
isn't expecting this prompt and then fails.

The 'oracle' userid has no problems running the boot script manually.
But the 'oracle' user is not running the boot script at boot up.

Question:  How can I keep 'svrmgrl' from prompting for a password
when 'root' runs a 'connect internal'?

Any help would be great.

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:18:58

>Greetings:

>I just installed Oracle Server version 8.0.6 on HP-UX 10.2.

>I am trying to get Oracle to start at boot.  When the boot
>sequence gets to /sbin/init.d/dbora start, 'svrmgrl' is started
>and a 'connect internal' is redirected to the input.  This part
>of the boot script fails because when 'root' runs 'svrmgrl' the
>'connect internal' bit prompts for a password.  The boot script
>isn't expecting this prompt and then fails.

>The 'oracle' userid has no problems running the boot script manually.
>But the 'oracle' user is not running the boot script at boot up.

>Question:  How can I keep 'svrmgrl' from prompting for a password
>when 'root' runs a 'connect internal'?

>Any help would be great.

>  http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups
>   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts

The standard procedure is to use su - oracle -c
You can either have
su - oracle -c /sbin/init.d/dbora start
or make sure you run the standard dbstart script in /usr/local/bin
using su -  oracle -c
This is described in your HP-Ux specific Oracle documentation.
Definitely don't try get Oracle running under root

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

'connect intrnal' password prompt

Post by Annie STECZYCK » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:16:27

Hi,

In the script dbora, you must invoke your startup ou shutdown with "su -
oracle -c command" . oracle is the unix user who owns the privilege "connect
internal without password".

Annie STECZYCKI from France

Quote:> Greetings:

Post by Rick Wessma » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 23:26:40

> >Greetings:

> >I just installed Oracle Server version 8.0.6 on HP-UX 10.2.

> >I am trying to get Oracle to start at boot.  When the boot
> >sequence gets to /sbin/init.d/dbora start, 'svrmgrl' is started
> >and a 'connect internal' is redirected to the input.  This part
> >of the boot script fails because when 'root' runs 'svrmgrl' the
> >'connect internal' bit prompts for a password.  The boot script
> >isn't expecting this prompt and then fails.

> >The 'oracle' userid has no problems running the boot script manually.
> >But the 'oracle' user is not running the boot script at boot up.

> >Question:  How can I keep 'svrmgrl' from prompting for a password
> >when 'root' runs a 'connect internal'?

> >Any help would be great.

> >  http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups
> >   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts

> The standard procedure is to use su - oracle -c
> You can either have
> su - oracle -c /sbin/init.d/dbora start
> or make sure you run the standard dbstart script in /usr/local/bin
> using su -  oracle -c
> This is described in your HP-Ux specific Oracle documentation.
> Definitely don't try get Oracle running under root

I second this wholeheartedly. Running Oracle as root can lead to unpleasant
side effects. A bug in Oracle code could cause shared memory segments to
become corrupted, for example.

                                    Rick

Quote:

--
                                Rick
                                Rick Wessman

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.