Horror-story: Oracle Personal Edition 8.1.6 Installation on Win98

Horror-story: Oracle Personal Edition 8.1.6 Installation on Win98

Post by Sigurd Eckerman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hallo Experts,

I used MS-SQL-Server 7.0 before.
Now I need to work with Oracle.
I downloaded the Personal Edition 8.1.6 for Win98 from Oracle-Server.

I use a PIII-800Mhz, 256Mb RAM, 30Gb HD, Win98SE.

The installation was successful.
I can see the sampledatabase in the Navigator.

I tryed to create a database with default values. It was createt, a little
Icon is visible in the taskbar.
But I was not able to connect to this database in the navigator.
He never said me the login and pass for the new database.(And never asked
me)

I tryed to create a new database with not default values. There he asked me
for a password.
But he worked about 3 hours to create the database with no result.

I dont understand it all. He needed about 1h to install the package. To
create a database it takes about 30 Mins.(with default values)

These were my first experiences with Oracle-Database-Software .... !!!!

I never seen something like that with MS SQL-Server.

How can I connect to a local database ? Where can I see login and pass  ?
Who has got experiences with this software-package ?

thx
Sigurd Eckermann

Horror-story: Oracle Personal Edition 8.1.6 Installation on Win98

Post by sybra.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Hallo Experts,

> I used MS-SQL-Server 7.0 before.
> Now I need to work with Oracle.
> I downloaded the Personal Edition 8.1.6 for Win98 from Oracle-Server.

> I use a PIII-800Mhz, 256Mb RAM, 30Gb HD, Win98SE.

> The installation was successful.
> I can see the sampledatabase in the Navigator.

> I tryed to create a database with default values. It was createt, a
little
> Icon is visible in the taskbar.
> But I was not able to connect to this database in the navigator.
> He never said me the login and pass for the new database.(And never
asked
> me)

> I tryed to create a new database with not default values. There he
asked me
> for a password.
> But he worked about 3 hours to create the database with no result.

> I dont understand it all. He needed about 1h to install the package.
> create a database it takes about 30 Mins.(with default values)

> These were my first experiences with Oracle-Database-
Software .... !!!!

> I never seen something like that with MS SQL-Server.

> How can I connect to a local database ? Where can I see login and
pass  ?
> Who has got experiences with this software-package ?

> thx
> Sigurd Eckermann

Personal Oracle is Personal Oracle, you can only create one database.
Also you don't create databases in Oracle like you do in sqlserver.
You create schemas instead.
You can't learn Oracle without reading any manual. People with a
sqlserver background usually don't seem to read any manual.
Please try reading the getting started manual and the Oracle concepts
manual. You did install the documentation, did you?

Regards,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Horror-story: Oracle Personal Edition 8.1.6 Installation on Win98

Post by Barbara Kenned » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

That's because the SQL Server documentation is terrible.  It is organized so
it is difficult to find things and very confusing.
Jim

> > Hallo Experts,

> > I used MS-SQL-Server 7.0 before.
> > Now I need to work with Oracle.
> > I downloaded the Personal Edition 8.1.6 for Win98 from Oracle-Server.

> > I use a PIII-800Mhz, 256Mb RAM, 30Gb HD, Win98SE.

> > The installation was successful.
> > I can see the sampledatabase in the Navigator.

> > I tryed to create a database with default values. It was createt, a
> little
> > Icon is visible in the taskbar.
> > But I was not able to connect to this database in the navigator.
> > He never said me the login and pass for the new database.(And never
> asked
> > me)

> > I tryed to create a new database with not default values. There he
> asked me
> > for a password.
> > But he worked about 3 hours to create the database with no result.

> > I dont understand it all. He needed about 1h to install the package.
> > create a database it takes about 30 Mins.(with default values)

> > These were my first experiences with Oracle-Database-
> Software .... !!!!

> > I never seen something like that with MS SQL-Server.

> > How can I connect to a local database ? Where can I see login and
> pass  ?
> > Who has got experiences with this software-package ?

> > thx
> > Sigurd Eckermann

> Personal Oracle is Personal Oracle, you can only create one database.
> Also you don't create databases in Oracle like you do in sqlserver.
> You create schemas instead.
> You can't learn Oracle without reading any manual. People with a
> sqlserver background usually don't seem to read any manual.
> Please try reading the getting started manual and the Oracle concepts
> manual. You did install the documentation, did you?

> Regards,

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

> All standard disclaimers apply

> Before you buy.

Horror-story: Oracle Personal Edition 8.1.6 Installation on Win98

Post by Nick Butche » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:27:09

Hi Sigurd

Username: system
Password: manager (use caution when logged in as 'system' as you will have
DBA privileges)
for other combinations try scott/tiger (for the demos) or
sys/change_on_install (be very careful with this one as you can*the
database completely as this user)
You should not need to provide an instance name as it will be set up as a
default (LOCAL in your registry) but it should be either ORCL or ORACLE
I have to say that without some knowledge of Oracle you won't be able to get
far even when you log in.
Try 'Oracle8i A Beginners Guide' from Oracle Press to get started

Good Luck

Nick

Quote:> Hallo Experts,