(create index) vs (create index ... online)

(create index) vs (create index ... online)

Post by Konghun Cho » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:53:57

Any difference?

I can't find any informattion in manual about that.

Thanks in advance..

(create index) vs (create index ... online)

Post by Howard J. Roger » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 20:04:24

Yes there is a difference.

The online option doesn't take a complete table lock for the duration of the
create.  DML on the underlying table is thus permitted throughout.

Regards
HJR
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

Quote:> Any difference?

> I can't find any informattion in manual about that.

> Thanks in advance..

1. System Index vs. User Created Index

I'm running a script that drops and re-creates user indices.  But in
the process it attempts to drop system indices and extraneous errors
results from these attempts such as

Server: Msg 3703, Level 11, State 7, Line 0
Cannot drop the index 'table_name._WA_Sys_column_1_07F6335A', because
it does not exist in the system catalog.
Server: Msg 3703, Level 11, State 7, Line 1
Cannot drop the index 'table_name._WA_Sys_column_2_07F6335A', because
it does not exist in the system catalog.
Server: Msg 3703, Level 11, State 7, Line 1

What if any are the differences between a user created index and a
system index.  In this case, I'm looking for something to
differentiate the two so I can eliminate the system index from drop
and re-create index script.  Make sense?  Any response would be
appreciated.

Mageo

2. Pros and cons of different RDMSs

3. reindex vs. drop index , create index

4. Modify field included in a merge Replication

5. OnLine 5.0 BUG -- create index problems

6. Help MySQL

7. Drop Index, BCP Import and Create Index (Ver 6.5)

8. How to copy a table?

9. Create Index UNIQUE contraint or index?

10. dbcc dbreindex or drop index __ create index?

11. Indexes collection contains more indexes that I created????

12. Primary key using index alt. creating index