Hot Back-ups from Raw File Systems

Post by mjwa.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Has anybody successfully done Oracle Hot Backups (putting tablespace in
backup mode etc.) from an instance based on Raw File Systems.

Have you managed to successfully restored the database using this method

How did you manage to backup the 'data-files' did you use DD.

Are there scripts available which we could use to automate this

Thanks in Advance

Michael Walsh

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by markp7.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Has anybody successfully done Oracle Hot Backups (putting tablespace
in
> backup mode etc.) from an instance based on Raw File Systems.

> Have you managed to successfully restored the database using this
method

> How did you manage to backup the 'data-files' did you use DD.

> Are there scripts available which we could use to automate this

> Thanks in Advance

> Michael Walsh

Yes, we have been doing hot backups on raw partitions since 1995 or
'96.  We now use dd.  In the past we also used OS vendor provided
utility.  We have several different scripts, each of which is pretty
much geared to the disk layout of the system it is on and how many
concurrent streams we run.  But you could pretty much copy the base
script from the manual back when we set this up.

I believe you would be better off to write your own based on your
needs, but I will email the one version I have handy if you email me
the request. It runs from a Unix Korn shell.
--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Post by Alex Hudghto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Has anybody successfully done Oracle Hot Backups (putting tablespace in
> backup mode etc.) from an instance based on Raw File Systems.

> Have you managed to successfully restored the database using this method

> How did you manage to backup the 'data-files' did you use DD.

> Are there scripts available which we could use to automate this

If you're running version 8 then RMAN simplifies this task. We originally
backed up to disk then saved the whole system on tape, but now use Legato to
backup straight to tape.

Alex

Hot Back-ups from Raw File Systems

Post by Sanjeev Saga » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Just FYI,

If you will use RMAN on Solaris then make sure that your oracle version should
be 8.0.5.1 or higher. RMAN has a bug when you use RMAN for restoring RAW devices
with version prior to 8.0.5.1 on Solaris only.

Otherwise RMAN works fine. I did all kind  of Backup and Restore tests with RAW
devices.

Sanjeev K. Sagar

> > Has anybody successfully done Oracle Hot Backups (putting tablespace in
> > backup mode etc.) from an instance based on Raw File Systems.

> > Have you managed to successfully restored the database using this method

> > How did you manage to backup the 'data-files' did you use DD.

> > Are there scripts available which we could use to automate this

> If you're running version 8 then RMAN simplifies this task. We originally
> backed up to disk then saved the whole system on tape, but now use Legato to
> backup straight to tape.

> Alex

1. Hot Backup and Offsite Backup System

I am going to have to setup a "Hot Backup" for Oracle 8.1.7 Standard
Edition...as well as an offsite copy too (this one does not need to be a hot
backup)  What would be the best way to do this?  Should I run in archive log
mode on the primary and have the other two systems in recovery mode all the
time?  Enterprise Edition is not an option at this point.  BTW, the offsite
system is going to actually end up in the company owners house...and I am
sure he is going to want the ability to log in and run reports against it
while at home.  Maybe I should consider some form of replication?

Chet West

2. backup progress bar

3. Converting full database back-ups to Flat Files

4. SP3 Client tools and connectivity only..

5. Raw partition and file system file

6. Data Access Questions: VBSQL/DB-Lib --> ADO

7. HOT HOT HOT HOT ORACLE POSITIONS !!!

8. Where have the idn news groups from Server:

9. Syncing Systems with Hot BAckup

10. Raw I/O vs files (was Re: Raw partitions / cooked files)

11. Oracle Hot Backup of Associated files

12. hot backup archivelog the online-redo files and Oracle locks up

13. file system and raw partition