Help: How to get specific rows from a recordset

Help: How to get specific rows from a recordset

Post by Michael Haefel » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have the following problem:
We are developing a database driven website.
The users can query for specific records via a search form.
But depending on the users input the query produces thousands of records.
This results in very high data transfer.
To avoid this I want the database to deliver only ten records at a time.

You propably know the Oracle ODBC Test utility, where you can set a value
for the rowset. Thats exactly the functionality I want to implement.

Many thanx for any answer.

Mike Haefele

1. Getting a specific row from a table

I am using VBScript within and ASP page, running under IIS 4.0. I want to
get a record from a table (SQL Server), where the only information I know is
how many rows are in the table and the row number I want to retrieve.  For
example, I have a table with 10,000 rows, and I want to get row 4796. I
don't know what data is in that row... all I know is that I need that row.
Is there a way to query the DB for only this record? I know I could do
something like "select top 4796 * from..." and then just get the last record
from the returned recordset, but in reality the table may have thousands of
rows and I don't want to have to retrieve a large recordset when all I want
is one row.

2. Connections per second?

3. Question regarding List Boxes

4. Help getting this error: ADO could not find the specific provider

5. .net framework sdk and sql server error

6. getting last two rows of recordset

7. Delphi3, Oracle7.3, NT Workstation, and GPF.

8. Recordset-Getting the ID of a row inserted when the ID is IDENTITY/AUTOINCREMENT

9. HELP - Specific rows return for result

10. send specific oracle 8i table data to specific sql server 2000 table at specific times

11. getting one row of nulls when there are no rows: outer join using dual

12. Query help (getting more rows depending on new prices)