How to install a listener on an NT machine?

How to install a listener on an NT machine?

Post by Seek » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I had SQL*NET on a NT machine that's used to connect to Oracle on a Unix box.
I then installed the trasparent gateway on the NT machine so that Oracle can
talk to SQL Server on the NT machine. However I can't find the
OracleTNSListener service. Why did this piece did not get installed?

Any help is appreciated.

Tony

How to install a listener on an NT machine?

Post by Michael Serbanesc » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Have you tried the command NET TNSLSNR START (I am too sure about the
command syntax, but should be close this) at the command prompt ?

Also, talk to your NT Server administrator and have a look in the
Registry under the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services. It is possible
that the start setting for the service is SERVICE_DISABLED rather than
SERVICE_AUTO_START (check with ORACLE Support on that one; on the NET
command syntax, too). Change the setting to the appropriate value. At
the next reboot of server, the listener should start.

If the OracleTNSListener service is not listed in the Registry, you may
have to do a re-installation.

Hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu

Post by Vittorio Turchett » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I had SQL*NET on a NT machine that's used to connect to Oracle on a Unix box.
> I then installed the trasparent gateway on the NT machine so that Oracle can
> talk to SQL Server on the NT machine. However I can't find the
> OracleTNSListener service. Why did this piece did not get installed?

> Any help is appreciated.

> Tony

Probably you installed only SQL*Net client software on your NT machine.
You have to install SQL*Net server software to get a TNS listener
service.

Best regards.

Vittorio.

1. Two listeners on the same NT machine

Hi,

  I am wondering how to start two listeners: one from SQL*Net2.3, the
other from Net8 on the same NT machine. Our environment is NT 4.0 (SP4)
, Oracle 7.3.2 and Oracle8i (8.1.5). I am able to run both Oracle7 and
Oracle8 databases on the same NT server, but I couldn't start two
listeners.

Thanks.

Lorne Sun

2. Question about VIEWS on SQL-Server

3. I installed Transparent gateway but can't find the listener (listener.ora)

4. Scanner

5. INSTALL SQL 6.5 TO NT-SERVER-NO NETWORK-STAND ALONE MACHINE

6. Authors needed for book on JavaBeans

7. Error installing 16bit Crystal ocx on NT machine

8. newbee create table question

9. Problems to Install Developer 2000 in a NT Machine

10. install Oracle 9i with rac option on nt 2000 (on 2 machine without san)

11. Install 2 different versions of Oracle on the same Win NT machine

12. Wired for OLAP install on NT machine

13. Installing Oracle WebDB in a Oracle8i NT machine