ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel

ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel

Post by fuzz » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:45:38

Hi,

Got a problem with a startup nomount of new instance (ORA-03113). I just
installed Oracle 8.7.1 for Sun SPARC Solaris and, as far as I can tell, did
everything according to the book. Anyone out there got a suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen vd Goorbergh

ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel

Post by fuzz » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 19:44:16

This helped:

Doc ID:  Note:134990.1
Subject:  Solaris: ORA-3114 from Oracle Database Configuration Assistant
Type:  PROBLEM
 Content Type:  TEXT/PLAIN
Creation Date:  05-FEB-2001
Last Revision Date:  14-FEB-2001
Language:  USAENG

Problem Description
-------------------

During a new installation of 8.1.7, while Oracle Database Configuration
Assistant was running, in the Initializing database stage, about 82%
complete,
you receive the following error:

   ORA-3114: not connected to ORACLE

Even running DBASSIST standalone after exiting the Installer, you still get
the
same error at the same point.

Solution Description
--------------------

Increase the value of the kernel parameters semmsl and semmns to
allow for an additional 150 processes.

Explanation

The Solaris installation guide says to use the following kernel parameters:

  set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100
  set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200

The default database created by dbassist has a processes parameter of 150.
You can recalculate your semaphores to allow for 150 processes or if this
is the only instance the following /etc/system lines would be correct:

  set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=160
  set semsys:seminfo_semmns=310