Help with blobs and word (saving, retrieving and editing)

Help with blobs and word (saving, retrieving and editing)

Post by Scott Felte » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

All....

I guess I thought that there would be more information out there on this
subject.

Of the millions of things that my application must do, one thing is that the
users want to store, retrieve and edit word files (hopefully I can have them
edit them in Word).  I am using designer/developer and Oracle 8 - we deploy
in a three teir using OWAS.

The reason for this requirement is simply that these word files are created
elsewhere but relate to the data that is in my application; by storing them
in the database we can manage revisions and security.

I am in the analysis stage now, so ANY ideas would be greatly
appreciated!!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

scott felten

1. Edit/Store/Retrieve/Submit SQL Server Blobs via XML

Hi all,

I'm looking for advices about designing a "document server"

application. I'm developing n-tiers solutions in VB and I need to

provide all my applications a way to retrieve, edit and store any

kind of documents as BLOBs in a SQL Database. These documents could

be either Word or Excel Documents, as well as large binary files or

images. I used to do that using "regular" client-server techniques

(ADO recordsets), but now that we've switched to a multi-tier

architecture, the client software does not have any mean to access

ADO methods. Following the strict rules of this architecture, my

client applications know only how to parse a XML document.

I'd like your advice about the following : I've built up a COM+ Data

Object which extracts the data from the BLOB (through a stored

procedure), saves it as XML in a stream (ADO 2.5) and sends it back

to the client as a string. On the client-side, I simply parse this

XML string and extract the "node.typedvalue" for the binary field. I

then decode it and serialize it on the local disk to let the user

access it. It works but I then face two major problems :

1) this way of proceeding is particularly slow and I don't really

see how I could improve it. The size of the XML document generated

by ADO is about twice to third bigger than the original binary file

(due to the non-binary encoding). I could rely on my own algorithms

to extract the BLOB and binary-encode it but I'm affraid it could be

even slower (?).

2) What could be the best way to do the contrary, i.e. upload a

local file to the server to store it into the database ? I was

thinking about finding a good encoding for the data before sending

it to the server as a string, but maybe it's not the most efficient

to way to proceed ?

Has anybody already done that before ? Any idea about the best

encoding / uploading techniques ? Do you see any flaw in the general

architecture I've just described ?

Thx for your helps and advices,

Olivier

2. Problem installing a SQLXML windows service

3. Storing/Retreiving/Saving Word Doc to Blob on web

4. error converting data type varchar to smalldatetime

5. Saving a Word file as a BLOB

6. INDEXPROPERTY IsHypothetical option...

7. Can I save Document MS WORD in database Paradox(BLOB) and Extract back

8. xp_cmdshell results

9. Saving and Retrieving BLOBs

10. How to save/retrieve BLOB fields?

11. Saving and retrieving BLOB w/ SQL Server

12. Blobs: How to tell when I retrieved a null blob