Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition

Post by bhal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Background:  We are beginning development on a ORACLE web-
based application using PL/SQL w/embedded HTML.  We expect
maybe 50 - 100 concurrent users (user base is < 1000).
Database size < 1 GIG.

Not initially planning to distribute the database across
machines.  Will be using OAS/Web Listener on 1 box with the
database on another.

I am being told from my ORACLE Var rep that ORACLE 8i
STANDARD edition is not really meant for internet
applications but for intranet applications.  He is
suggesting ENTERPRISE edition.  I wanted to start out with
STANDARD and later upgrade to EDITION when we are able to
house other applications and amortize the cost among the
clients.

Question:  To those that are developing ORACLE web-based
applications, are you using STANDARD or ENTERPRISE editions
and can STANDARD be used with some level of confidence
based on the vague specs I laid out here.

Thanks for any comments,

Barry

Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition

Post by Thomas Kyt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

(if that email address didn't require changing)

>Background:  We are beginning development on a ORACLE web-
>based application using PL/SQL w/embedded HTML.  We expect
>maybe 50 - 100 concurrent users (user base is < 1000).
>Database size < 1 GIG.

>Not initially planning to distribute the database across
>machines.  Will be using OAS/Web Listener on 1 box with the
>database on another.

>I am being told from my ORACLE Var rep that ORACLE 8i
>STANDARD edition is not really meant for internet
>applications but for intranet applications.  He is
>suggesting ENTERPRISE edition.  I wanted to start out with
>STANDARD and later upgrade to EDITION when we are able to
>house other applications and amortize the cost among the
>clients.

>Question:  To those that are developing ORACLE web-based
>applications, are you using STANDARD or ENTERPRISE editions
>and can STANDARD be used with some level of confidence
>based on the vague specs I laid out here.

The major diff between Oracle8i and Oracle8i EE is the

- availability of certain options (eg: Partitioning is NOT available at all with
Oracle8i, only with Oracle8i EE)

- availability of certain functions (eg: Bitmap Indexes are NOT available at all
with Oracle8i, only with Oracle8i EE)

You can see the document "getting to know Oracle8i".  there is a section in that
manual that lays out the differences option by option, feature by feature. (it
also explains the features so you know what it is you are looking at).

You can get this document from http://technet.oracle.com/  you need an account
on that site but they are free and sign up is immediate.  goto documentation....

Quote:>Thanks for any comments,

--
See http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st

Oracle Service Industries     Reston, VA   USA

Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition

Post by Van Messne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

In general your rep is right.  I think the standard edition does not allow
transaction processing.  Many internets want to sell things to people where
many intranets want to provide information to people.

Van

Quote:> Background:  We are beginning development on a ORACLE web-

Post by Jeremiah Wilto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> In general your rep is right.  I think the standard edition does not allow
> transaction processing.  Many internets want to sell things to people where
> many intranets want to provide information to people.

If the standard edition is not capable of performing transactions, how
does the data get in there in the first place?
--
Jeremiah

Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition

Post by Van Messne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I should have been more complete since there are three things all called
transactions.  The normal Oracle database transactions the Oracle web
transaction and a consumer's transaction with a vendor.  I was referring to
the second one for which the enterprise edition allows Oracle to handle web
requests more efficiently.  There are a number of other features which the
enterprise edition has - better security etc.  The new book on OAS from
Oracle Press has three or four pages outlining the differences between the
standard and the enterprise version.

Van