Convert a non-partitioned table to partitioned table

Convert a non-partitioned table to partitioned table

Post by David YEUN » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 17:03:41

I have a number of tables growing quite large and I would like
to convert them to partitioned tables. Could anyone tell me what
is the best way to convert a normal table to a range partitioned
table? Do I need to re-create the table using partition clauses
and then re-load the data into it, or can I use the 'alter table ...'
statement to do so?

Thanks

david

Convert a non-partitioned table to partitioned table

Post by Martin Haltmaye » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:52:45

You can do that with the "exchange partition" method. This is the fastest method
if used "without validation" parameter.

Martin

Convert a non-partitioned table to partitioned table

Post by Jonathan Lewi » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 04:30:13

Do you need to do it fast, or are you strapped for space ?
How much temporary space do you have for recreating
indexes ?  How much hassle will it be to re-apply
privileges if you drop the original table ?

--
Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site:  http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html