Is it possible to include external programs into Oracle processes ??

Is it possible to include external programs into Oracle processes ??

Post by Michael Kepple » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello everybody !

After figuring out that a Oracle compressed dump file can be compressed
to less than 20 percent of its size by external compression software I
got the idea of including external software into Oracle processes.
Is this possible in general ? And if yes, can I only run external
programs by calling them like in a shell or can I include them for
instance like a filter process in a byte stream produced by Oracle??

We are running 8.0.5 on NT.

Ciao and Thank You, Michael.

--

Post by markp7.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello everybody !

> After figuring out that a Oracle compressed dump file can be
compressed
> to less than 20 percent of its size by external compression software I
> got the idea of including external software into Oracle processes.
> Is this possible in general ? And if yes, can I only run external
> programs by calling them like in a shell or can I include them for
> instance like a filter process in a byte stream produced by Oracle??

> We are running 8.0.5 on NT.

> Ciao and Thank You, Michael.

> --

If you mean something like having the Oracle exp ultility use your
compress utility while it is running the answer is no, but you can in
UNIX export into a pipe and run a compress on the pipe while the exp is
running.

Oracle 8 provides a means to call external procedures from pl/sql code
so you integrate external modules into your processes like they were
pl/sql stored routines.  But this is not the same as adding a routine
at a predefined exit like IBM IMS provides.

Some of the Oracle tools like Forms provided exits for linking in
external code with earlier versions.  I am not sure about the newest
versions.

Oracle data cartridge (optional) combines foreign code into the
database.  You could look into this.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Is it possible to include external programs into Oracle processes ??

Post by David Sis » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Try using pipes if you're on Unix.  On NT, you'll have to do it in two
discrete steps.

Regards,

--
David C. Sisk
Need tech info on Oracle? Visit The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site at

>Hello everybody !

>After figuring out that a Oracle compressed dump file can be compressed
>to less than 20 percent of its size by external compression software I
>got the idea of including external software into Oracle processes.
>Is this possible in general ? And if yes, can I only run external
>programs by calling them like in a shell or can I include them for
>instance like a filter process in a byte stream produced by Oracle??

>We are running 8.0.5 on NT.

>Ciao and Thank You, Michael.

>--

Is it possible to include external programs into Oracle processes ??

Post by Joe Malone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you are talking about using compressed tablespace datafiles, such as
on MS-$$$$ compressed drives, it is usually frowned upon. This is
because ORACLE has no way to know how much room a tablespace actually
has on its disk. If you create a 100MB tablespace datafile, store 50MB
in it that is stored compressed to 20MB on the drive, when oracle trys
to write another 50MB to it, the additional space may not be there.

--
Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/