WebDB: Pass parameters between Dynamic Pages?

WebDB: Pass parameters between Dynamic Pages?

Post by Dave » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a web site using the beta version of WebDB 3.0. I can't
figure out how to pass parameters between dynamic pages.

For example, I build a dynamic page that displays a navigation menu. The
menu has several HTML <A> links on it to call another dynamic page:

<A HREF="oracle_portal.display_page_proc?p_nav_b=1">Click Here</A>

I've also tried:

<A
HREF="oracle_portal.display_page_proc?p_arg_names=p_nav_b&p_arg_values=1">Cl
ick Here</A>

Neither works. I can't figure out how to recieve and display the value in
the
p_nav_b parameter that I pass in the link to the procedure
display_page_proc.

Any ideas? How, from an HTML link on one dynamic page, can I properly
pass and recieve a parameter to another dynamic page? Thanks for any help!

 - Dave

WebDB: Pass parameters between Dynamic Pages?

Post by paul_fount.. » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:33:58

Hi Dave,
I haven't done a lot with WebDB 3 yet but I have used 2.2 a bit. The way
you are passing the variables appended to the URL looks fine to me. I'm
wondering whether the start of the URL is formed right. Try calling a
static page you've created without appending any variables to the URL to
test that you are calling the right package and you are logged in as the
right user. As everything with WebDB is stored inside the database you
have to have the appropriate priveleges set up in the site management
section. I think you would have got an error message indicating this if
that was the problem but it is worth mentioning.

One thing I've done a bit of is used stored procedures and the PL/SQL
Webtoolkit to produce dynamic pages It defeats the purpose of webdb a
bit but if you are building serious applications with it you will have
to do this at some point. By using this you can call procedures and pass
them parameters all in PL/SQL. You can create the static bits as HTML
then use stored procedures to render the dynamic bits by putting a
procedure call between the <ORACLE></ORACLE> tags in a Similar sort of
way you might do it in server side scripting such as ASP or Cold Fusion.
Probably not as clear as you'd like it to be but I hope it helps.

Paul

Quote:> Hi all,

> I'm trying to build a web site using the beta version of WebDB 3.0. I
can't
> figure out how to pass parameters between dynamic pages.

> For example, I build a dynamic page that displays a navigation menu.
The
> menu has several HTML <A> links on it to call another dynamic page:

> <A HREF="oracle_portal.display_page_proc?p_nav_b=1">Click Here</A>

> I've also tried:

> <A

HREF="oracle_portal.display_page_proc?p_arg_names=p_nav_b&p_arg_values=1
">Cl

Quote:> ick Here</A>

> Neither works. I can't figure out how to recieve and display the value
in
> the
> p_nav_b parameter that I pass in the link to the procedure
> display_page_proc.

> Any ideas? How, from an HTML link on one dynamic page, can I properly
> pass and recieve a parameter to another dynamic page? Thanks for any
help!

>  - Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. WebDb 2.2 Dynamic html pages parameters question

You probably know that using <ORACLE> here goes pl/sql code</ORACLE> tags
you can embed pl/sql code into html page.

Is there a way to pass parameters to these dynamic pages to reference those
parameters in pl/sql code and then take some action ?

For example, I'd like to get parameters ragarding name of a person and take
all the products he bought. The code is like 'SELECT * from products where
name=parName'
where parName is the value of the name parameter passed to dynamic html
page.

Can this be done ?

2. VFOXPRO 6.0 - How can I make a console application?

3. Parsing arguments between dynamic pages in WebDB

4. uniVerse security

5. WebDB flexible parameter passing

6. Whose runnable

7. passing dynamic SQL based on parameter in openquery()

8. I need simple samles for the beginning in ADO for VC

9. Passing table name, field name as parameters in dynamic SQL

10. Extended Stored Procedures: Passing dynamic number of input parameters to an XSP

11. Page References in Answers (was re: passing parameters to screens)

12. Dynamic Execute Statement vs. Passing Dynamic SQL

13. dynamic T-SQL for dynamic parameter