Oracle 8i Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition for Linux

Oracle 8i Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition for Linux

Post by kabi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I am in the process of choosing a back-end database server platform for a
new application service.
My platform is Red Hat Linux/Apache and all the application will be written
in 90% Perl (mod_perl based) and 10% ANSI C. The application will maintain
persistent connection to the back-end database and also includes batch
processing for purchase history analysis.

After looking at the pricing and other information at Oracle web site, I
came to the following conclusion:

Solution #1: Using multiple (2+) standard edition Oracle 8i on Linux
I will load balance clients between 2 or more Oracle 8i standard edition
servers to maintain a high degree of performance.

Solution #2: Using (1-2) enterprise edition Oracle 8i on Linux
I will load balance clients between 1-2 Oracle 8i enterprise edition servers
to maintain a high degree of performance.

Obviously, the 2nd solution is VERY EXPENSIVE.

What I would like to find out is the following:

Am I better of with solution #1 where the Oracle pricing allows me to add
more standard edition database servers as my need grows with more and more
clients. Any thoughts/pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am interested in hearing about Oracle experts who are using it in
Linux platform for large scale OLTP.

A reply post or direct e-mail will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Kabir
http://www.nitec.com

Oracle 8i Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition for Linux

Post by Ian Jone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>Solution #1: Using multiple (2+) standard edition Oracle 8i on Linux
>I will load balance clients between 2 or more Oracle 8i standard edition
>servers to maintain a high degree of performance.

Why did you arrive at this solution, if I understand you are proposing
two databases?  How will you keep them in sync?  Why not go for
a single database and spend the license money on fault tollerent
hardware?

Quote:

>Also, I am interested in hearing about Oracle experts who are using it in
>Linux platform for large scale OLTP.

The choice between workgroup and enterprize comes down to the
availability of extra options such has partitioning, advanced
replication, etc.  Unless you specifically need these extra features
on day one I would go with the workgroup and upgrade should you
need to at a later date.
Quote:>A reply post or direct e-mail will be greatly appreciated.

>Kind Regards,

>Kabir
>http://www.nitec.com

Oracle 8i Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition for Linux

Post by spence » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

if you are running multiple machines, each with its own instance
of oracle, then you are going to have multiple databases to keep
in sync, which is going to require drive space for each copy of
the database, and each database will have to be administered
individually, which may end up being a really big headache.

be aware that oracle only licenses "standard edition" on a
limited set of hardware configurations.

are you really needing two machines to handle the workload ? why
not consider a more powerful SMP machine with plenty of memory
and fault tolerant features like redundant power supplies,
hardware drive mirroring, and hot-swappable hard drives ?