Oracle Documentation tool... Need your Opinion

Oracle Documentation tool... Need your Opinion

Post by mark » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 04:47:57

I have written a tool to document oracle databases.

I am still working on it, but I have an example of what it can currently do.

Please look at it and give me some feedback.

http://www.oralinux.org/common/llprod.html

Are there other things I should be documenting?

Thanks

Mark Wagner

Oracle Documentation tool... Need your Opinion

Post by Richard Sutherlan » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 10:08:33

Mark,

Good start!  Your sample tablespace DDL does not show options for extendable
data files, temp files, etc., so I can not tell if you have covered such
syntax.

There are tools out there that have all current syntax ready for your use.
For example, if you want to include the DDL for any version of Oracle from
7.3 - 8i (and future versions when released), and/or if you want to include
more than just the tablespaces (e.g., profiles, roles, rollback segments,
users, database links, etc), and if you have Perl, then you might want to
look at the free Perl module DDL::Oracle, available from the CPAN, and from:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ddl-oracle/

Richard Sutherland

Quote:> I have written a tool to document oracle databases.

> I am still working on it, but I have an example of what it can currently
do.

> Please look at it and give me some feedback.

> http://www.oralinux.org/common/llprod.html

> Are there other things I should be documenting?

> Thanks

> Mark Wagner

Oracle Documentation tool... Need your Opinion

Post by Paul Drak » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:04:46

a quick critique of parameter values:

increase the log_buffer - 163840 is a good start, 1048576 is typical.
your db_block_size is 4096 - but your db_file_multiblock_read_count = 8
- hike it to 16
        as 64 kb / 4 kb = 16
your sort_area_size is only 64 kb - hike it up to 1048576
and the sort_area_retained_size should be half that - 524288 is good.

set your sort_multiblock_read_count = 16
I'd increase the size of the hash area
hash_area_size = 131072  to maybe 1M - it depends on if you're using
hash joins, and how much memory is available.

Your control files are on the same hard drive - in the same directory.
You're better off if they're on separate physical drives.

hth,

Paul

> I have written a tool to document oracle databases.

> I am still working on it, but I have an example of what it can currently do.

> Please look at it and give me some feedback.

> http://www.oralinux.org/common/llprod.html

> Are there other things I should be documenting?

> Thanks

> Mark Wagner

1. ANN: Documentrix - Source Code Documentation/Database Documentation Tool

Announcement:
Documentrix - Source Code Documentation/Database Documentation Tool

Documentrix is a source code documentation and database documentation
tool that generates an Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) file directly from
multiple source code directories and/or a SQL Server database.

It has been tested with SQL (SQL2000 and SQL 7), C, C++, Visual Basic,
Java, PHP, ASP, VBScript, and .NET.

You can get a copy from
http://www.mostwantedsoftware.com/products/geeks/documentrix/index.aspx

Features include:

o Multiple, customizable documentation styles
o Works with plain text files; the documentation source does not need to
be enclosed within code comments
o Automatic and configurable generation of Table of Contents, Summary,
Index and other elements, including a collapsible table of contents
o Able to work on a file or project basis
o Project file maintains project definitions
o Able to extract comments from thousands of files and millions of lines
of code
o Project can include foreign HTML files
o Project can combine multiple source file types: document a solution
written in several programming languages
o Detailed Database analysis, including:
        Tables (System and User)
        Stored Procedures
        Primary and Foreign Keys
        User-defined Functions
        Triggers

All of this for $20.

As a programmer, I got sick of creating documentation for projects with
complicated comment blocks.  Now, when a client asks for source code, it
takes longer to print it than it does to generate it.

Thanks for listening,

MostWantedSoftware

*** To send us a message, remove the "_nospam" from the e-mail address

2. Development in Computer Informatioin Systems

3. Need Opinion: Westmount CASE Tools

4. Oracle7 Server and Oracle7 Workgroup Server for Windows NT

5. Open Tools API Documentation needed.

6. Fastest File Copying?

7. 29512-TN-Memphis-ORACLE-ORACLE Forms-ORACLE Tools-ORACLE HR-ORACLE Case Tools-CONSULTANTS

8. SC-Greenville-29510--ORACLE-ORACLE Forms-ORACLE Tools-ORACLE HR-ORACLE Case Tool

9. NC-Charlotte-29511--ORACLE-ORACLE Forms-ORACLE Tools-ORACLE HR-ORACLE Case Tools