Partitioned views vs. partitioned tables

Partitioned views vs. partitioned tables

Post by Philip Butto » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi

Does anyone have any views on the merits or otherwise of partitioned views
vs. partitioned tables ... the specific environment is Oracle 8.0.3,
Windows NT, on a DEC alpha .... the partitions would be monthly data added
to a data warehouse table ....

Thanks

Phil

Post by Connor McDonal » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hi

> Does anyone have any views on the merits or otherwise of partitioned views
> vs. partitioned tables ... the specific environment is Oracle 8.0.3,
> Windows NT, on a DEC alpha .... the partitions would be monthly data added
> to a data warehouse table ....

> Thanks

> Phil

My understanding is that partitioned tables (on O8) are basically the
same as partition views (available since O7) with the added benefit of
not having your ins/upd/del scripts needing to know about the
partitioning...

Go with partition tables...
Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology
Perth, Western Australia
"The difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad"
                                - Salvador Dali