Horror stories please

Post by Mark Smither » Sat, 26 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I'm just about to upgrade my system(s) from HP-UX 10.20 on K servers
runnning Oracle 7.3.3.3 to 'V' class servers running Oracle 7 or 8 on 11.0

Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of

Thanks in advance,

Mark Smithers

Horror stories please

Post by Alan Howitso » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am currently running two 12-way V servers with Fibre channel IO to an EMC
3430 in a fail-over scenario, but without MC/ServiceGuard as of  yet. We are
always running production on one V with over 1000 OLTP users.

My advice is to just be very cautious in moving onto the V too quickly so
you may give yourself enough time in your project plan to become familiar
with the V and all its intrinsics because it is quite different from a
variety of viewpoints which I will try to point out.

From the Operational viewpoint there are the following considerations:
* Needs a real data center, no paper dust from printers, ect. It has some
serious hardware architecture requiring powerful internal fans and filter
mechanisms, definitely not your average D or K server.

* 700 workstation/console concept will present some functionality challenges
(operator interaction with a very different console environment,
communication between workstation/console and V via private LAN connection)

* Be prepared to buy hardware maintenance on this 'bad boy'. Taking this
'puppy' apart like you would a K or D is not going to happen that easily.

From the SysAdmin viewpoint there are the following considerations:
* Relationship between the 700 workstation/console and V server is
accomplished via 'test station software' on the 700 which also monitors
diagnostics and firmware on the V server. This presents another dimension of
maintenance overhead which is also differrent in nature.

* The equivalent of 'ISL' on the V is 'OBP' which is not quite the same,
although HP have tried to make it conform as much as possible. This will
require some getting used to and familiarity with the type of functionaility
presented here.

* V can only run HP-UX 11.0 64-bit. While 32-bit apps will run, they will
not be able to take advantage of 64-bit features, like extended shared
memory.

* Apart form the private LAN, you can put another NIC card in the 700
workstation so you can connect it onto your local network as well. This will
allow you to log into the 700 workstation and 'pop' console up remotely as
many times as you want, but only one of them can have primary control. I
like this feature.

Now for some of the caveats:
* Check with HP and make sure you oder your V with a balanced  number of
CPUs and MEMORY carriers. Because the V deploys cross bar architecture you
will be defeating the object if you don't balance this ratio thus enabling
the multiple paths between CPU and MEMORY.

* Check with HP in regards to power requirements. The V has special
requirements.

* Diagnostics on the V with regards to memory deallocation and the logging
of diagnostic information as a result of hardware failures is somewhat
lacking. For this reason check to make sure your 700 'test station software'
is version 4.3 or higher.

* HP-UX 11.0 is in my opinion of some concern. There are plenty of patches
and I have experienced some serious problems with the OS requiring HP LAB
intervention.

* HP expertise on the V hardware from a trouble shooting aspect is really
stretched and you need to dig deep to find capable resources.

There is no doubt that the V class is an awesome server with more power than
you can imagine on a single server and certainly runs our database
application much faster than our T600 12-way. There are, however, a few
caveats as described above, which need to be considered hopefully to be
improved upon over time.

Good luck with your V class upgrade.

UNIX Consultant
Computer Consulting Services Corporation
Horsham, PA
USA

*y instructions which, being learned, return to plague the inventor.
- Shakespeare, on debugging

Quote:>I'm just about to upgrade my system(s) from HP-UX 10.20 on K servers