Where do I start

Post by Chris Ker » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:27:10

I'm currently working in IT as a junior level network security consultant.
With the recent decline in IT jobs "at least in my area), and drastic budget
cuts.... Times are tough.

On every job board I see a slew of Oracle DBA jobs posted, so I thought why
not?  My problem is that I don't know where to start.

I am a novice to say the least when it comes to Oracle and database
administration.  So my question is:  Which version should I learn with?
What books and/or courses would be helpful for a beginner?  Does Oracle have
single user versions available to learn on for a reasonable price?

Any advice anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!  I currently
have a copy of 9i for Windows and Linux, but a friend said I should learn on
the latest version.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Chris Kerr

Where do I start

Post by Daniel Morga » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 02:37:29

> I'm currently working in IT as a junior level network security consultant.
> With the recent decline in IT jobs "at least in my area), and drastic budget
> cuts.... Times are tough.

> On every job board I see a slew of Oracle DBA jobs posted, so I thought why
> not?  My problem is that I don't know where to start.

> I am a novice to say the least when it comes to Oracle and database
> administration.  So my question is:  Which version should I learn with?
> What books and/or courses would be helpful for a beginner?  Does Oracle have
> single user versions available to learn on for a reasonable price?

> Any advice anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!  I currently
> have a copy of 9i for Windows and Linux, but a friend said I should learn on
> the latest version.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

> Regards,

> Chris Kerr

Considering where you are starting any version of 8i or 9i is sufficient. But if
you have 9.2 anything that is good.

Start by investigating local classes, downloading massive amounts of documents
from http://docs.oracle.com and http://tahiti.oracle.com.

Start by learning concepts and architecture.

Without that foundation you will just be another mediocre player.

Daniel Morgan

Where do I start

Post by Terry M » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 01:25:20

I suggetst you stay with network and security.
On every job board I see a slew of "NETWORK SECURITY" jobs posted.
no kidding.

I'm also new to Oracle, and found it's very tough to find a job, except
internally.
Besides, my understanding is that Networking is more straight forward to
learn.

Quote:> I'm currently working in IT as a junior level network security consultant.
> With the recent decline in IT jobs "at least in my area), and drastic
budget
> cuts.... Times are tough.

> , so I thought why
> not?  My problem is that I don't know where to start.

> I am a novice to say the least when it comes to Oracle and database
> administration.  So my question is:  Which version should I learn with?
> What books and/or courses would be helpful for a beginner?  Does Oracle
have
> single user versions available to learn on for a reasonable price?

> Any advice anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!  I currently
> have a copy of 9i for Windows and Linux, but a friend said I should learn
on
> the latest version.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

> Regards,

> Chris Kerr

Where do I start

Post by reply to usene » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:11:53

> I suggetst you stay with network and security.
> On every job board I see a slew of "NETWORK SECURITY" jobs posted.
> no kidding.

> I'm also new to Oracle, and found it's very tough to find a job, except
> internally.
> Besides, my understanding is that Networking is more straight forward to
> learn.

> > I'm currently working in IT as a junior level network security consultant.
> > With the recent decline in IT jobs "at least in my area), and drastic
> budget
> > cuts.... Times are tough.

> > , so I thought why
> > not?  My problem is that I don't know where to start.

> > I am a novice to say the least when it comes to Oracle and database
> > administration.  So my question is:  Which version should I learn with?
> > What books and/or courses would be helpful for a beginner?  Does Oracle
> have
> > single user versions available to learn on for a reasonable price?

> > Any advice anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!  I currently
> > have a copy of 9i for Windows and Linux, but a friend said I should learn
> on
> > the latest version.

> > Thanks in advance for your help.

> > Regards,

> > Chris Kerr

OK, how do you start learn "NETWORK SECURITY"?  Tell use please.

Where do I start

Post by Terry M » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:31:11

OK, now that you say that sarcastically, I have to say something.

I didn't learn network security seriously. As you can see, I'm learing
Oracle.

I just gave my advice. I found Oracle is a complex system because it
compries of changing data and has many things related in systems. We
normally hard to find a production enviroment to practice. Nowadays, it's
hard to find a DBA job without 5 yrs experience.

I don't know network and security very much, I read ads and talked with
friends, and found so called "network security" is mostly using Checkpoint
or Pix5. Yes you have to know hell a lot of TCP/IP and equipments to do
well, but it's not as hard as hacking. Perhaps because of my programming
background and networking experience, I think that learing network and
security is more straightforward, as a CCIE friend said, (network) open or
not, that's the job. Suer learing n&s will have some headaches, I dont konw.

Maybe you are a network security guy, and you think that's a holly job. It's
a good job, and I want to learn some real security and how to learn it if
you want to tell us. I don't think most computer jobs high, there are a few
genious in the fiels, few hackers, some people designing Oracle or Cisco or
netural network, and you can say they are doing something maybe called
"science". Most of others, 99.99999% CCIEs, MCSEs or whatever, are not. It's
just a method we manage to pay tax and bills.

So, if a guy  asks which way is a shortcut to the "lobster and stake house",
I said I might go network and security.

> > I suggetst you stay with network and security.
> > On every job board I see a slew of "NETWORK SECURITY" jobs posted.
> > no kidding.

> > I'm also new to Oracle, and found it's very tough to find a job, except
> > internally.
> > Besides, my understanding is that Networking is more straight forward to
> > learn.

> > > I'm currently working in IT as a junior level network security
consultant.
> > > With the recent decline in IT jobs "at least in my area), and drastic
> > budget
> > > cuts.... Times are tough.

> > > , so I thought why
> > > not?  My problem is that I don't know where to start.

> > > I am a novice to say the least when it comes to Oracle and database
> > > administration.  So my question is:  Which version should I learn
with?
> > > What books and/or courses would be helpful for a beginner?  Does
Oracle
> > have
> > > single user versions available to learn on for a reasonable price?

> > > Any advice anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!  I
currently
> > > have a copy of 9i for Windows and Linux, but a friend said I should
learn
> > on
> > > the latest version.

> > > Thanks in advance for your help.

> > > Regards,

> > > Chris Kerr

> OK, how do you start learn "NETWORK SECURITY"?  Tell use please.

Where do I start

Post by TX-D » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 04:25:05

They say you should'nt switch job titles just because something is HOT
or in demand. I guess it goes back to the "Do what you like to do."
But thats easier said than done.  I know I got into databases 11 years
ago cause it looked interesting and I had a passion for it. Just stay
focused and don't jump into the lastest fad without research. I hear
.NET guys are in demand now, hehe....

My 2 cents