Advice want: Report Builder versus Reports Designer

Advice want: Report Builder versus Reports Designer

Post by Chris Newma » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:33:56

I am trying to determine which tool is best in what instances. Any
suggestions appreciated.

Advice want: Report Builder versus Reports Designer

Post by Frans » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 00:24:16

Chris
 If this means that you want to use designer2000/6/6i to generate
reports or
report builder to build them by hand: You can use report builder
without designer, but you cannot use designer to generate reports
without report builder.

There may also be some confusion: The present program "report builder"
was formerly called "Report Designer".

hth
Frans H.

> I am trying to determine which tool is best in what instances. Any
> suggestions appreciated.

1. Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Why do users want reports?

I mean, isn't it enough for them to see their information on the screen?
Why waste paper, toner, printheads, time, money, etc.?  If they *really*
want to distribute information to their clients, can't they just send them a
cheap computer with a replicated copy of the database?  Wouldn't that just
be much simpler for everyone involved (especially me)?

I can't figure it out.  I *try* and *try* to tell them that reports are
really unnecessary.  It's all in their mind.  It's a myth.  Paper reports
are like...like...dinosaurs...just waiting for the next meteorite.

But, alas, they pay me no heed and continue to insist on reports.  So, here
we are.

Currently, we're using Crystal Reports 7.0.  But, I find I *ABSOLUTELY AND
UNEQUIVOCALLY DO NOT LIKE IT.*  It's not that there's anything wrong, per
se, with the product.  Just a preference.

Has anyone out there used both Crystal and Active Reports and have some
opinion or comparison they can offer?

Manish

2. Searching a string in a file

3. VGS-1313 Font Lookup Failed from Report Builder report - corrupted file

4. Microsoft ODBC driver

5. Report Builder Vs Report Engine Printer Selection

6. Table layouts

7. Windows report printing outside of Report Builder

8. listener can't prespawn servers

9. Merged Reports with Report Builder ?

10. Updating a report using report designer

11. Developer Oracle / Dba - Curriculum Vitae - form builder / report builder

12. Report builder / query builder

13. Data Designer and a Report Designer.